Silly Question: Cake Boards Vs Cake Boxes?

Business By KuyaRomeo Updated 13 Sep 2011 , 8:23am by cakecoachonline

KuyaRomeo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KuyaRomeo Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 3:40am
post #1 of 15

Sounds like a really silly question:

We are deciding to start off only doing dessert cakes, rather then birthday cakes (due to the retail establishment that is allowing us to place our items for sale . . it makes more sense for us to focus on dessert cakes, that are readily available for purchase, rather than special order cakes).

We have decided that we will pick one size for dessert cakes, and stick to it, to help cut packaging costs . . at least for now. Maybe 8 " or 10" cakes. But probably 8".

My silly question is this: If we do an 8" cake, then I guess we need a 10" cake board? And if we use a 10" cake board, will it fit in a 10" cake box, or will we need 12" cake boxes?

14 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 4:14am
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuyaRomeo

If we do an 8" cake, then I guess we need a 10" cake board? And if we use a 10" cake board, will it fit in a 10" cake box, or will we need 12" cake boxes?

Yes, and the 10" cake board fits in a 10" cake box.
(you don't want 12" boxes with extra space for it to have room to slide around in.)

KuyaRomeo Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 15

Thank You!!!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 15

8" cakes can also sit on 9" cake boards. It depends upon your bottom border. The 9" board should be used with a 9" box. Make sure the box, whichever diameter you choose, is tall enough to accommodate the tallest cake you will make.

KuyaRomeo Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks for the info!

I always need to buy the biggest boxes . . my cakes are high, with flowers and my cupcakes are mountained out of that addictive thing called butter cream icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 8:32am
post #6 of 15

Kuya, some of my cakes are too high, but my boxes are the hot pink ones from brp, so no options on taller. I cut two straws the right height and tape them to the two front sides if the box. I lower the box top, now propped up by the straws, and wrap the sides neatly with plastic wrap. The box still looks professional and the cake is still showcased in the window. I have also cut two boxes to make a tall box, but be sure to add it to your price or you will lose that extra box price.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 9:09am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I have also cut two boxes to make a tall box, but be sure to add it to your price or you will lose that extra box price.

scp1127 how do you make tall box of two standard boxes?. I'd like to know as I can't find tall boxes anywhere. Thanks!

scp1127 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 9:49am
post #8 of 15

I cut the top off of one box and the bottom off of the other. I then fit the top bow over the bottom. This way, you won't be staring down at a big seam between the boxes. With a ruler. I make sure the box is even, for example 5 1/2 inches on all sides. I then tape the entire seam on the inside of the box with packaging tape. I don't tape the outside because the box would be ugly, but the tape keeps it nice. By the time I add the ribbon to the box (as I always do), nobody will notice. Plus I use windowed boxes so the attention is on the cake. This will work for any size box.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 1:34pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:

I cut the top off of one box and the bottom off of the other. I then fit the top bow over the bottom. This way, you won't be staring down at a big seam between the boxes. With a ruler. I make sure the box is even, for example 5 1/2 inches on all sides. I then tape the entire seam on the inside of the box with packaging tape. I don't tape the outside because the box would be ugly, but the tape keeps it nice. By the time I add the ribbon to the box (as I always do), nobody will notice. Plus I use windowed boxes so the attention is on the cake. This will work for any size box.

Thanks scp1127 for a detailed description. It makes sense. Unfortunately my small boxes are different, cannot do anything similar to make them tall (link)

http://s1183.photobucket.com/albums/x463/Panel7124/?action=view¤t=P1100654.jpg

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 1:57pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:

Kuya, some of my cakes are too high, but my boxes are the hot pink ones from brp, so no options on taller. I cut two straws the right height and tape them to the two front sides if the box. I lower the box top, now propped up by the straws, and wrap the sides neatly with plastic wrap. The box still looks professional and the cake is still showcased in the window. I have also cut two boxes to make a tall box, but be sure to add it to your price or you will lose that extra box price.

Wow, I never thought of doing that to keep the lid up!!!! I usually staple the sides of tops to the bottoms so they don't close. You are great, thanks for your so many useful ideas. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
evelyn

scp1127 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 7:23pm
post #11 of 15

Panel, that is a tough one. Just go to a store like Michael's and get the regular boxes when you need to make one out of two. I go to brp, but if you don't need 100 at a time, they are really expensive.

scp1127 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 7:24pm
post #12 of 15

cakegrandma, I would drop the stapler on the cake.

cakecoachonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecoachonline Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:42pm
post #13 of 15

If I have made a cake with intricate decorations on the top and needing more space than the lid is currently giving I always put a diagonal cross on the lid corner to corner - and then with very sharp scissors cut through the cross, so making two cuts in the lid effectively nearly corner to corner. This means that the edge of the lid still fits onto the bottom of the box but you can now bend back the triangles to make space for the cake top decoration. By adding a sheet of cling film (USA - plastic wrap is it???) over the entire lid of the box - this means that the dust is prevented from entering, the lid is fitted securely too but there is still lots of space for the sugar flowers or modelling not to get crushed by the lid. So there is another suggestion for you. Cheers. K

scp1127 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 2:23am
post #14 of 15

cakecoach, is this on a regular bakery box with the wing sides and the tab front flap?

cakecoachonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecoachonline Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 8:23am
post #15 of 15

It is called (in UK anyway) a standard white cake box. (Separate base and lid) They make a heavy duty one too. But the standard box - which you buy flat and we have to assemble together folding in the edges and connecting them - is very easy to make the cuts in the lid and add the cling film with cellotape all around the edge to secure it (or USA plastic wrap with sticky tape) I think that is the correct words!! You can buy extensions too but these just raise up the lid on stilts - and still looks a little unstable to me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%