Need Help On Scratch Strawberry Cake *asap If Possible*

Baking By augurey Updated 15 Sep 2011 , 12:19am by augurey

augurey Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 12:28am
post #1 of 12

I'm making cupcakes for my sister-in-law's birthday, and I'm leaving with them around 1pm tomorrow. It's just my family and a camping trip, so I know they'll understand if they aren't perfect, but...

I attempted scratch strawberry cupcakes, and well, they just aren't turning out.

Basically, they just don't taste like strawberry. At all.

I've been grasping at straws here. I tried adding more strawberry puree, and I ended up running up to the store for some strawberry extract -- added 2 TBSP. And still. They have only a slight more of a hint of strawberry, but really, they don't taste much like anything.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I have back up frozen strawberries if I need to make a new batch.

If I have to I can make regular cupcakes, but I was really hoping to get a strawberry cake down as it is my SIL's favorite (though I did offer to make an actual cake another weekend as a cake wasn't really suited for camping).

But if anyone can tell me that this is how they are supposed to taste or give any suggestions, I'd appreciate it so much!

Also, I'm baking at 350 and they are coming out very very dark. I never had an issue with other cupcakes, so I don't think it's an issue with the stove...

11 replies
Lisa65 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 12:57am
post #2 of 12

Hi Augury,

I made some strawberry cupcakes not too long ago that came out great. They aren't scratch, but they aren't the boxed strawberry either. Use 1 package white cake mix, 1 small package strawberry flavored gelatin, 2/3 cup oil, 4 eggs, 3 tablespoons flower, 4 oz. frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup buttermilk. Thaw strawberries. preheat oven to 350, combine cake mix, gelatin, oil, eggs, flour, thawed strawberries and buttermilk. Mix until just combined and put into cake pan or cupcake liners then bake. Moist, delish and the color is great. Good luck.

Lisa

Marla84 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 1:08am
post #3 of 12

I recently made cupcakes using the Sprinkles Strawberry Cupcake recipe
http://www.oprah.com/food/Sprinkles-Cupcakes-Strawberry-Cupcakes-Recipe

There's a video on that link to watch too where she gives tips about how long to mix, etc. to get the best results

I've never had strawberry cake/cupcakes before so I don't have anything to compare it to, but my family and I really liked them. I made some with lemon buttercream, and a few with strawberry buttercream.

ShandraB Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 1:44am
post #4 of 12

To get more flavor, you might try cooking the strawberries down before you puree them. You can also use preserves if you don't want to take the time to cook the strawberries, but you will need to cut the sugar.

augurey Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 2:03am
post #5 of 12

I'm trying to get my cupcakes done tonight as I have to pack and do other preparations tomorrow (plus make cake balls tomorrow). I ended up trying to improvise with another non-strawberry recipe. I'm not too sure if I'm liking them. They have a bit more flavor and have a better color, but I'm not sure if I like them. They aren't rising very well, but I'm sure that it has more to do with my addition of strawberry puree rather than the recipe as it has risen fine for me as an actual cake.

Lisa65, I may end up doing that recipe if I have to re-bake tomorrow morning. I think I have everything except the gelatin.

Marla84, the recipe I used was very similar to the one you posted, though with some differences. Maybe the different measurements will make a difference. What I made basically had no flavor to it -- even if I hadn't been making into a strawberry cake, the cake itself just seemed completely flavorless.

ShandraB, how do you cook the strawberries down? In my case, I opted for fresh strawberries (now only down to the frozen packaged ones). I had read that it was better to freeze and thaw before pureeing as it'd bring out the flavor more. I haven't heard of cooking down though. It sounds interesting and will have to give it a try.

all4cake Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 2:30am
post #6 of 12

I also cook them down.

You know how when you cut them up and place them in a pot and they begin to cook, they produce liquid? I continue cooking them on low heat until the liquid is reduced to 1/3-1/4 the original amount (I eyeball the amount until it looks good). That way, the flavor is condensed into a smaller amount of liquid. Allow it to cool. Then, continue with the recipe.

ETA: I don't puree them...just kinda press them to bits with a fork. Don't really need to puree them after all the cooking...they pretty much spread evenly into the batter when they're added.

kathyw Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 2:39am
post #7 of 12

For my strawberry cake I use a recipe by Gothicgirl on the allrecipes website. Everyone seems to love it. You use pureed strawberries in light syrup and strawberry jello. HTH.

keetinleeson Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 2:40am
post #8 of 12

I used this recipe off CC Called "Summer scratch Strawberry cake" for cupcakes and it was sooo strawberry and I filled it with strawberry filling to give it more flavor as well. I dont remember who posted it. I'm sure you can find it on here. Great recipe to whom ever posted it!!!!!

Ingredients
5 C cake flour
2 Tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
1 1/3 C butter
2 2/3 C sugar
5 eggs
8 oz sour cream
2 2/3 C strawberry puree*
1 Tbsp vanilla
10-15 drops red food coloring (optional **)

Instructions
1. Grease and flour cake pans and preheat oven to 350.
2. Sift flour, baking power, baking soda and salt together and set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugar together.
4. Beat the eggs together, then beat in slowly, scraping the bowl down halfway through.
5. Combine sour cream, strawberry puree and vanilla (and food color if using) in a small bowl.
6. Add flour and strawberry mixture in alternating batches beginning and ending with the flour. Pour into cake pans and bake 30-40 min (depending on size of cake pans).

* Strawberry puree Take 32 oz of frozen strawberries and defrost. Strain out the juice (set aside the juice to use in your frosting if you desire) and puree the strawberries in a food processor until smooth. After making the cake, you will have about 3/4-1 C of strawberry puree remaining that you can use between the layers of your cake if you so desire.

** This cake has a brownish color when baked so if youre looking for a pink cake, youll need to add a little color. When cooking for myself, I dont care about the color of the cake, but for a childs birthday cake, I add a little red food coloring to give it a slightly pink color.

augurey Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 2:42am
post #9 of 12

Thanks for the info, all4cake!

I'll have to try that next time.

My improvised recipe will work for tomorrow. Certainly not my best, but they will have to do because doing them tomorrow is only a completely last resort option... like if these ones tasted awful as well. I plan on making another cake for SIL anyway, so hopefully I can give her a true strawberry cake.

I finally got my second and third batches to rise better. I think the buttermilk in this recipe brings out the strawberry flavor a bit more. Still not very distinct. In fact, I'm not sure if anyone else will be able to taste it. I think I only can (slightly) is because I know what it's supposed to be.

The last ones were just aweful. I mean they were brown all throughout. I know that sometimes a pure strawberry cake can come out grey unless adding food coloring, but brown?

I definitely want to get the strawberry cake down, and I'll definitely use the suggestions.

The sad thing is, I only need 12 cupcakes. I bought 50 cupcake wrappers this afternoon and ran out and had to use my boyfriend's mom's cupcake wrappers icon_confused.gif Over 70 cupcake wrappers just for 12 cupcakes.

ShandraB Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 2:48am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I also cook them down.

You know how when you cut them up and place them in a pot and they begin to cook, they produce liquid? I continue cooking them on low heat until the liquid is reduced to 1/3-1/4 the original amount (I eyeball the amount until it looks good). That way, the flavor is condensed into a smaller amount of liquid. Allow it to cool. Then, continue with the recipe.

ETA: I don't puree them...just kinda press them to bits with a fork. Don't really need to puree them after all the cooking...they pretty much spread evenly into the batter when they're added.

This is pretty much what I do although I usually start with a tablespoon of water. I cook them over low/medium heat, don't rush it. It can take quite a while depending on the amount of strawberries. You can easily mash them through a strainer when you're done.

LeanneW Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 4:07pm
post #11 of 12

I'm sure its too late now but I thought I would share the strawberry cake recipe I use.

I had a bride who requested strawberry so I tried 5 or 6 different recipes and most were too sweet or had an unappetizing grey/brown color.

this was the best of all the ones I tested http://cakecentral.com/recipes/4783/scratch-moist-strawberry-cake

at first I hesitated to try it because of the use of Jello, but it gave a nice flavor and a very pretty color, i'm sure the gelatin also keeps the cake moist. I don't make the strawberry filling that goes with it. I usually do this cake with vanilla or lemon IMBC.

I have also been think of making this with seedless pureed raspberries and raspberry jello.

augurey Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 12:19am
post #12 of 12

Thanks again for the ideas and suggestions!

While I was disappointed in my cupcakes, my family loved them, but I'm still set on mastering a scratch strawberry cake (which I will still be making!).

So I'll definitely be giving trying this again with the suggestions here icon_smile.gif

LeanneW, maybe I'll give that recipe a try. I think it sounds delicious with with raspberry!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%