Cc Cake Contest...just My Opinion.

Decorating By diane Updated 13 Sep 2011 , 6:33pm by kisamarie

diane Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 18

I really enjoy looking at the entries for the contests, but I'm wondering since there are so many cake artists here on CC and so many different levels of talent...why is it that there is only one division? I don't think it's fair for the newbies and those who've only been doing cakes for a few years to have to compete with the more experienced. When has a newbie or less experienced cake artist won a CC cake contest? When I say newbie, I mean new to cake decorating. Shouldn't there be different levels of competition?? Just a thought! Please don't take it the wrong way...I'm not knocking the experienced artists here...just rooting for the underdog! icon_lol.gif

17 replies
shanter Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 18

I agree. I would have liked to see it broken down a little. My local fair (a medium-sized one and sophisticated enough to be able to fairly [no pun intended] judge fondant as well as buttercream) does it like this:

Amateur: Have not taught cake decorating classes for money and may sell an occasional cake (to cover the expense of cake).

Home Professional: Actively sells cakes from their home (for usually more than the expense of the cake) and may teach basic cake decorating classes.

Business Professional: Works as a cake decorator, has their own cake decorating business, has published cake decorating books, or teaches advanced methods of cake decorating.

kisamarie Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 12:05am
post #3 of 18

Excuse me while I rant a little.....I too, would like to have seen a breakdown in the judging categories. Im getting frustrated with this site today because I have read a lot of posts in many areas by Members who operate Store front businesses, who are really being hard on home bakers. Some home bakers are hobbyists and pose no threat to their business, and others may be real competition for them, but that is how business works. It seems like CC wants everyone to compete at the highest level and if your work doesn't make the cut, then you aren't at a level they care to judge. I feel as though everyone deserves a chance to compete and win in the decorating competitions, just as everyone deserves a chance to own and operate their own business.

BizCoCos Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 12:33am
post #4 of 18

I have seen newbies post the most amazing 1st time wedding cakes and so called professionals post well, frankly sloppy work. I think a newbie can make and enter an amazing cake, like most things in life you have to work and practice to achieve your best work. Some of the entries were very nice but the majority needed some more professional looking results.

gidgetdoescakes Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 12:47am
post #5 of 18

Post a pic that you have gotten no comments in here on a site like cake boss and see how many lovely comments you get...........then don't worry about the little stuff.....believe me...you will be happier icon_smile.gif

KathysCC Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 12:57am
post #6 of 18

There would be no way for us to tell who was an amateur and who was not. Trying to break the contests down by skill level would probably make even more unhappy members because if some "newbie" entered a cake that looked like a professional cake there would be cries of unfairness. I just don't think it is possible to do this for an online contest.

gidgetdoescakes Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 3:55am
post #7 of 18

Your absolutely right.

diane Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 4:17am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

There would be no way for us to tell who was an amateur and who was not. Trying to break the contests down by skill level would probably make even more unhappy members because if some "newbie" entered a cake that looked like a professional cake there would be cries of unfairness. I just don't think it is possible to do this for an online contest.

really...you couldn't figure out who is an amateur and who is not? couldn't you tell by looking at their pictures, website, etc? it's not rocket science.

dawncr Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 10:10am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

Quote:

really...you couldn't figure out who is an amateur and who is not? couldn't you tell by looking at their pictures, website, etc? it's not rocket science.

Actually, it's not that easy. There are some cake designers who are near-prodigies, like Rylan, whose first cakes were published. Conversely, there are some professionals whose work is less-than-stellar. From hanging around these boards for a few years, I'd say it's difficult to tell. And I'm a rocket scientist.... icon_wink.gif

QTCakes1 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 3:45pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:

Quote:

I thought KathysCC gave a perfectly good explanation why and a very logical one. I don't think being a smart a$$ was neccessary. thumbsdown.gif

diane Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 5:08pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

Quote:

Quote:

I thought KathysCC gave a perfectly good explanation why and a very logical one. I don't think being a smart a$$ was neccessary. thumbsdown.gif

No one was doing such. I apologize if it came out that way. This is a clean environment...please no cussing. thumbsdown.gif

I know of several cake contests where there are different levels of competition...and there seems to be no problem with it.

Here you could have two levels, one for beginner to intermediate, and the other for intermediate to professional...and everyone chooses which one to enter...and the judges don't have to choose who are professionals and who are amateurs.
icon_rolleyes.gif

thecupcakebandit Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 5:47pm
post #12 of 18

That's a nice thought, but since there is no way to police that via the internet, I doubt it would do any good. It wouldn't be difficult for a more experienced person to enter into a lesser category and win anyway. Even if you're limited to submitting one entry per account, per contest...people could easily just make a second account to submit a second entry. I think it would just give people a reason to engage in shady behavior. You want to win a CC contest? Get better.

gatorcake Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 6:07pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecupcakebandit

That's a nice thought, but since there is no way to police that via the internet, I doubt it would do any good. It wouldn't be difficult for a more experienced person to enter into a lesser category and win anyway. Even if you're limited to submitting one entry per account, per contest...people could easily just make a second account to submit a second entry. I think it would just give people a reason to engage in shady behavior. You want to win a CC contest? Get better.

Sorry but this can happen in the current environment. Divisions or no divisions someone wants to misrepresent their skills they can easily do so.

And I don't buy that adding divisions will encourage more "cheating" or "deception." Why? The unethical can't cheat now? Sure they can. Those who want to win that badly can do it in the current environment. They can't win? Why not? Not including divisions does not prevent deception and ensure that only the "honest" "skilled" decorators will win. Multiple entries? Not sure why this is a concern as it can happen now.

If these are the reasons not to have divisions, why have a contest at all? That folks might cheat seems a poor reason to avoid a contest that enables those of varying experience level to compete with each other.

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 6:07pm
post #14 of 18

Different levels of competition are difficult to categorize in real life, let alone online. I can see that getting very ugly and I'll tell you why.

Last February, I entered my very first cake competition. Having been decorating cakes less than 6 months at the time without ever taking a class, I entered into the "beginner" category because thats exactly what I was. I was a newbie in every sense of the word. I received an email back a couple days later stating that they had seen my cakes online here on cc and that I had entered the wrong category and they were trying to weed out the scammers or something to that effect. They told me that I would now be entered into the highest category of "masters" which was 15 years or more of experience, owned business and a teacher of the trade. Needless to say I was shocked, livid and terrified! I wrote back and explained that I was a newbie and pleaded my case and got them to drop me down to the "professional" category which meant my cakes were going to compete with very experienced cake decorators that were making a professional living selling cakes! I was scared to death.

I entered 3 cakes that I completed with very limited knowledge and experience. I just did my best and left it up to fate. To my surprise and joy, I took home 2 first place ribbons and 1 third place ribbon.

The moral of the story? Sometimes experience and skill level mean nothing when it comes to art. You either have it in you or you don't. You can't be afraid to compete with the more experienced if you believe in your talents!

diane Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 6:20pm
post #15 of 18

Well...I was just hoping that since there are different skill levels here, that maybe everyone who wanted to enter could have a shot at it, but I guess that will not happen. Just thought it would be nice for those who probably ever thought of entering could...and compete with those on their level...but I guess not. icon_redface.gif Sorry for bringing this up and causing such commotion. icon_redface.gif

BizCoCos Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 6:31pm
post #16 of 18

I am new basically to both CC and cake designing. That said, if I had the time I would have entered just for the experience. I would not be intimidated by skill level or lack thereof, of anyone who was entering the contest. All the winners had great cakes, glamorous category?, since Idon't know how CC defined glamour, i can't say. but certainly my top picks did not win. Just do your best work and enter, especially since it's free, after all you can ask for feedback from members, some are kind, some are honest and some are brutal. It would still be a learning experience. Most contests you have to pay an entry fee. (Don't get any ideas, lol). This is free.

Elcee Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 11:41pm
post #17 of 18

I think online contests such as the ones on CC are fun to enter if you already have a cake picture but they're relatively lightweight and shouldn't be taken so seriously. It's very hard to judge on photos alone. A nice-enough cake, with the right photographer, lighting and (yes) photoshopping can look absolutely stunning and a gorgeous cake can look just so-so. I know my cakes lose a lot in pictures; I'm always disappointed with them and know they were better in person. (Off topic, a better camera is on my Christmas wish list icon_wink.gif.)

And then there's the vote soliciting...let's not even go there. The potential for that alone negates any true validity that these types of contests may have. It's also almost impossible to detect.

IMO,, having divisions would just complicate something that should be taken lightly and treated as a just-for-fun activity.

kisamarie Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 6:33pm
post #18 of 18

Well I think I'm going to enter this latest Contest for September, I probably wont win but at least I can say I tried!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%