Need Help With Buttercream Please Please Please

Baking By dawnstulee Updated 13 Sep 2011 , 10:36pm by bakerliz

dawnstulee Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 4

hello everybody! everyone is so helpful here i sure am hoping to find a solution. ok here goes... i started using swiss buttercream instead of regular buttercream because of 2 reasons-everyone said mine was too sweet and i couldn't stand the grainy, sugary texture of it. However, even though I love the texture of the swiss, I have some problems with it. 1. It doesn't crust. 2. it doesn't hold up well in heat. 3. I think it tastes too buttery. 4. If I make it ahead of time then refridgerate it, when it cools down to use i find it is lumpy, looks curdled and is very yellow. Is there an easy buttercream that has the texture of swiss, has a sweetness in between the two and that will crust and work well w/ or w/o fondant? I know I am asking alot but if anyone can help me, you guys can! thanks so much. I have a wedding cake to do on 9/17 and really want to find a new go-to frosting Smile

3 replies
pmarks0 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 4

American butter cream is always going to be sweeter. But I've found that SugarShack's recipe doesn't seem as sickly sweet as some others. IndyDebi's recipe is also good and many use hers.

As for your issues with the swiss meringue buttercream, when you take it out of the fridge, you have to let it come fully to room temperature and then put it back in the mixer again. You will probably find this link very helpful. And it's the only SMBC that I use.

elliespartycake Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 4

I too only use SMBC. It's amazing taste and velvety smooth texture on the tongue makes it a hit with all of my clients. And it's not too sweet.
Having said that, it does not crust (I don't find that a problem) and it needs to be in a cooler environment. SMBC is probably not the right frosting for and outdoor wedding in the summer icon_biggrin.gif .
I have seldom had a problem with using SMBC that has been refrigerated (or frozen)...I do it all the time. Let it come to room temp; then beat it in your mixer until it's the right consistancy again; this may take time and look like it's curdled, but keep beating it. It'll come together again. Sometimes, if the SMBC has been frozen too long it's just too tired to revive. Toss it and start over.
Good luck.

bakerliz Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 4

I just tried SugarShack's recipe the other day and I would also agree that it isn't as sweet or as grainy. It does crust, I haven't tried it under fondant yet

Quote by @%username% on %date%