Need Frosting Help Badly!

Baking By dawnstulee Updated 9 Sep 2011 , 12:59pm by AnnieCahill

dawnstulee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnstulee Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 3

hello everybody! everyone is so helpful here i sure am hoping to find a solution. ok here goes... i started using swiss buttercream instead of regular buttercream because of 2 reasons-everyone said mine was too sweet and i couldn't stand the grainy, sugary texture of it. However, even though I love the texture of the swiss, I have some problems with it. 1. It doesn't crust. 2. it doesn't hold up well in heat. 3. I think it tastes too buttery. 4. If I make it ahead of time then refridgerate it, when it cools down to use i find it is lumpy, looks curdled and is very yellow. Is there an easy buttercream that has the texture of swiss, has a sweetness in between the two and that will crust and work well w/ or w/o fondant? I know I am asking alot but if anyone can help me, you guys can! thanks so much. I have a wedding cake to do on 9/17 and really want to find a new go-to frosting icon_smile.gif

2 replies
Torimomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torimomma Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 4:03am
post #2 of 3

I've never tried the swiss meringue recipe for frosting but I use the Wilton class recipe all the time with a few minor substitutions.

First of all, use butter and shortening with trans fat. Crisco doesn't have it anymore but some store brands do. You'll have to check the label. I also use heavy cream as my liquid instead of water. The cream adds a nice richness to frosting. For flavoring, instead of all vanilla, try a blend of flavors. I use vanilla, butter, and almond to flavor mine. Usually I make a few batches at a time so I use 2t vanilla and 1t each of butter and almond.

I also add the pinch of salt but dissolve it first in a spoonful of water so that it mixes in nicely. If you are getting a grainy texture try to sift your sugar first or switch brands, they are not all the same quality. The grains could also be the meringue powder if you use that. Adding it first to the fats and liquids and beat it like it owes you money before you add the sugar and that may help it to dissolve better.

HTH!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 3

I was going to recommend the Whipped Cream Buttercream from the Most Saved Recipes section. It doesn't crust but is very easy to smooth with a scraper. You can use all butter, all shortening, or a combination of the two. I still prefer IMBC, but I use the WCBC when I want something a little sweeter.

Annie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%