Honey Cake And Icing?

Baking By thecakestand Updated 9 Sep 2011 , 7:14pm by thecakestand

thecakestand Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 4

I am looking for ideas for a honey cake and/or honey icing. What other flavors go well with honey? If I made a honey icing, what type of cake would you think pairs well with that?

I looked through the recipe index and there are several on there, but none have reviews.

Thanks for any help!

3 replies
MimiFix Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 4

Honey cake is great flavored with citrus, lemon or orange. I use a thin orange honey glaze over a honey orange cake.

LeanneW Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 4

I make a honey IMBC by substituting cooked honey in place of the cooked sugar. Although I don't cook the honey to 238. I cook it until it bubbles, not boiling.

It is a bit looser than regular IMBC so I have only used it as a filling in an Earl Grey Tea cake and a Matcha Green Tea Cake. It was absolutely delicious especially since it was so sweet and the tea in the cake was a little bitter.

To make the tea flavored cake I use my favorite vanilla cake recipe and add an envelope of "matcha latte mix" that you can get at an Asian grocery store, for the earl grey I take a couple of tea bags and grind the tea into a powder with a pestle and mortar.

I suppose if I reduced the amount of honey it might solve the problem of the IMBC being a bit loose.

thecakestand Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the suggestions! I guess I will have to do some experimenting and see what I like best. I appreciate the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%