So Burnt Out!

Decorating By kearniesue Updated 9 Sep 2011 , 3:00pm by Sweetestdreamcakes

kearniesue Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 11

Sometimes, I just love decorating, and sometimes, I get sooo tired of it and feel like kicking my self for taking some orders. Right now, I'm tired of it.

Does anyone else get in a rut like this, and how do you handle it??

Thanks,

Karen

10 replies
ptanyer Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 11

If you can afford it, you need to schedule some time off from caking to allow you a little "you" time. Then you can go back to caking refreshed and ready to do. That's what I do every so often, but I have a full-time regular day job and cake on nights and weekends. I don't like to turn away cake orders, but sometimes you need time for you icon_wink.gif

kearniesue Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 11

Yes, that's where I am too - working a full time job, but trying to get the cake business off the ground. Like you said though, it is really hard to turn down orders, but I guess I just need to do it for a little while. Maybe that'll help..

kharvey Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 11

I work full time (non cake related) and have two kids. By the time my second son was born, I was so sick of anything "cake" that I took a 4 year break. The only baking I did in that time was the birthday cakes for my kids. They will never have a store bought cake as long as I am able to do it...LOL Anyway, after making my youngest son's 4th birthday cake, I really got the "itch" back. I have found that after that break, I enjoy baking and decorating instead of finding it a chore.

Take some time, if you can. Even just a little time away will help to refresh you and maybe make decorating fun again.

Best wishes.

kharvey Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 11

I work full time (non cake related) and have two kids. By the time my second son was born, I was so sick of anything "cake" that I took a 4 year break. The only baking I did in that time was the birthday cakes for my kids. They will never have a store bought cake as long as I am able to do it...LOL Anyway, after making my youngest son's 4th birthday cake, I really got the "itch" back. I have found that after that break, I enjoy baking and decorating instead of finding it a chore.

Take some time, if you can. Even just a little time away will help to refresh you and maybe make decorating fun again.

Best wishes.

QTCakes1 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 1:28am
post #6 of 11

Absolutely! I think everyone has there moments of being tired of cake.

Panel7124 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

Absolutely! I think everyone has there moments of being tired of cake.

QTCakes1, kearniesue: I was thinking the same thing yesterday icon_lol.gif- I'm tired of children's birthday cakes, cartoon characters etc.... I took one day off and in the evening made a small cake icon_redface.gif decorated as I wanted (gave it today to my kids' teacher, she was happy - I can't eat anything sweet anymore, can you?? Just looking at anything sweet makes me sick icon_rolleyes.gif - years ago I loved good milk chocolate, cakes... not anymore). Take couple of days off, do anything non cake-related, your hobbies, relax in the nature, see other people, go abroad icon_cool.gif - it will stimulate your creativity. Wishing you all the best!

Valkstar Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 1:08pm
post #8 of 11

I know exactly what you mean. I work full time and started a cupcake business a couple of months ago. Two weeks ago I had a wedding with 230 cupcakes and a large cupcake, and last week a charity do with over a 100 cupcakes of many flavours. This week, I couldn't care less if I never made another cake - ever! All my cases / tips etc. are still on the table cos I can't even be bothered to pack it all away icon_redface.gif

Luckily I've a break this weekend, so hopefully I'll have a few days off caking, and get back into it next week.

Try to take a bit of time away from cakes and hopefully the interest will come back soon.

Valkstar Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 1:12pm
post #9 of 11

I know exactly what you mean. I work full time and started a cupcake business a couple of months ago. Two weeks ago I had a wedding with 230 cupcakes and a large cupcake, and last week a charity do with over a 100 cupcakes of many flavours. This week, I couldn't care less if I never made another cake - ever! All my cases / tips etc. are still on the table cos I can't even be bothered to pack it all away icon_redface.gif

Luckily I've a break this weekend, so hopefully I'll have a few days off caking, and get back into it next week.

Try to take a bit of time away from cakes and hopefully the interest will come back soon.

kearniesue Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 1:39pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks, everyone. I have a 4 tier cake for 300 this weekend, plus the 3-D tractor grooms cake. Life is so busy right now - I just found out my second grandbaby is on the way, and we're signing papers for a new house in another week. Cake just doesn't seem important right now, and is just kind of a bother. Since I don't have any open orders right now, I think I'm going to take a few months off, maybe until after Christmas. Maybe I'll be ready to jump in again then icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your replys!

Karen

Sweetestdreamcakes Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 3:00pm
post #11 of 11

The way I see it, is when it becomes more of a pain for me to put up the effort it's no longer worth it. Granted I don't have a cake business and I work full time in insurance so I'm not relying on money from making cakes. They are supossed to be my "thing" that gives me a break from my real job. But when I comes down to me being exhausted from work, it's not worth killing myself to make a cake. If I have promised someone that I'd get a cake to them, then yeah I'll finish it, but I just have to try and keep my cake commitments spread out or I'll crash and burn. I'm just now thinking about being able to start my entries for Tulsa's show and its in three weeks. Eventhough I've looked forward to going for over a year now, i may just have to scrap entering and just enjoy the drooling. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%