How To Do A Standing Monogram?

Decorating By CupcakeMoma Updated 9 Sep 2011 , 4:31pm by CupcakeMoma

CupcakeMoma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeMoma Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 10

I'm going to be doing a bridal cake and they want a standing Monogram.
How do I do this? Icing? if yes, what kind? I have trouble using gum paste (sticky and dry), fondont doesnt dry hard enough!

Please help!
Cake is due next weekend, I have to get started on it soon depending on the drying time!

Thanks!

9 replies
kenidicalamity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kenidicalamity Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 10

If you are looking for something edible, gumpaste or fondant mixed with tylose is the way to go. If you just want a topper, I know you can get them at Michael's and from ebay and such.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 10

What brand of gumpaste are you using? Wilton is a little sticky when I work with it, so I dust my mat and hands with a little cornstarch or confectioners sugar. If it is too dry, then work a little shortening into it, or add 1/4 fondant and 3/4 gumpaste and microwave it for a few seconds at a time to warm it up, and then knead it until smooth and blended, and then cut your monogram (I always make a couple of extra for insurance against breakage) and let it dry. Don't stress about it, it will be okay, I promise icon_wink.gif

Hope that helps thumbs_up.gif
Pam

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 10

here is something like what you are asking about

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-683362-0-days0-orderasc-.html

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 10

You cAn also stencil a monogram with royal icing. That's what I'm doing and it works nicely.

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 10

great info.

CupcakeMoma Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 5:41am
post #7 of 10

Oh what wonderful tips!
Pam-I'm using the "DUFF" brand, I love the fontant he makes, but not so empressed with the gum paste. I have tried the shortening and the powered sugar and it still doesnt work...I just cant get it to be smooth let alone try to make flowers with it!
I havent tried mixing fontant and gum paste, i think that will be my next thing to try.

I just thought doing it out of icing would be easier but concered that it wont hold.
Its also been so HOT here in So. California, im worried of it melting. Can I put icing/fontant&gum paste monogram in the refige?

Thanks for all the great advice, I love this forum!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 7:05am
post #8 of 10

Wilton pre-made gum paste is BY FAR the best gum paste I've used. I've done several stand-up pieces and I've never had a problem with it. I use Crisco to coat the mat, my roller and my hands when I knead it. It dries fast and very solid. You can also roll it very thin for flowers.

thumbs_up.gif

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 9:02am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Wilton pre-made gum paste is BY FAR the best gum paste I've used. I've done several stand-up pieces and I've never had a problem with it. I use Crisco to coat the mat, my roller and my hands when I knead it. It dries fast and very solid. You can also roll it very thin for flowers.

thumbs_up.gif

Agree - get Wilton gumpaste, it's really good, hardens in hours, max. 1 day.

CupcakeMoma Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 10

I will get the Wilton gum paste then! thanks for all the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%