Cream Cheese Frosting And Filling

Baking By MostlyCupcakes Updated 10 Sep 2011 , 2:14am by MimiFix

MostlyCupcakes Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 9

I have a great recipe that I use for Cream Cheese Frosting, but it "melts" and loses its shape (not totally) when I ice cupcakes. I have a customer requesting a cake with my cream cheese frosting as a filling and frosting. Is there a way or trick to thicken it or make it sturdier without it affecting the texture? Thanks! Sorry, I'm kinda new to this and tried to do a search and didn't see anything.

8 replies
Marianna46 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 9

Wilton has a recipe for high-humidity buttercream that is the basic buttercream recipe with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch per 4 cups of powdered sugar added to help it keep its shape. I used it the other day, and it worked extremely well - I live in a totally tropical climate and this is the hottest time of year, and it didn't move! I wonder if you could add a little cornstarch to the cream cheese recipe, too.

jeartist Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 12:19am
post #3 of 9

Marianna, is that a buttercream that isn't cooked and did it change the taste at all? What a great idea!

MimiFix Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 1:14am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Wilton has a recipe for high-humidity buttercream that is the basic buttercream recipe with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch per 4 cups of powdered sugar added to help it keep its shape. I used it the other day, and it worked extremely well - I live in a totally tropical climate and this is the hottest time of year, and it didn't move! I wonder if you could add a little cornstarch to the cream cheese recipe, too.

Marianna is correct! Cornstarch works well to stiffen buttercream. (Hi Marianna!)

MostlyCupcakes Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 2:36am
post #5 of 9

Hmm, I wonder if it works on the cream cheese.

sweetcakes75 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 9

I had the same problem too.. I used philidelphia cheese.The next time I used Kraft it lasted longer but didnt like the taste.

Marianna46 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 1:13am
post #7 of 9

Hi, Mimi - I'm a regular at your blog now! The buttercream is the traditional American buttercream (no cooking involved, in other words), jeartist. The cornstarch didn't change the taste at all. What I would do, because this is what I usually do when I have doubts and time and not too much layout is involved, is to make a small batch with the cornstarch to see how it works and tastes.

cabecakes Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 1:40am
post #8 of 9

I wonder if you could also use meringue powder. I use it to stiffen up my buttercream. I don't know if it would change the taste at all. You could do a small sample batch. I add 1 tablespoon meringue powder to each pound of powdered sugar.

MimiFix Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 2:14am
post #9 of 9

Again I agree with Marianna. It's always important with recipe development to make a small batch and decide for yourself. CC is a great place to find help but you still need to do testing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%