Suggestions For Making A Boom Box Hip Hop Cake/plays Music?

Decorating By Hcraley24 Updated 9 Sep 2011 , 6:45pm by MamaDear

Hcraley24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hcraley24 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 5

I have an order for an 80's themed hip hop boom box cake that looks authentic and can actually play music. I also wanted to maybe get some edible images for the cassette tapes with Run DMC, Too Live Crew etc. for the covers. I also want to possibly add a gold chain. Anyone know where to get a mold or how to make one? Thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 5

Wow, what an undertaking. I would love to hear how it all comes together when it's done, especially how you make it play music!

If you have a cassette you can make a mold of it using makeyourownmolds.com and then create the cassette out of chocolate.

To make a gold chain you can roll a worm of fondant and create links, like you do when making a paper chain. Does this make sense? Then paint it gold.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 5

For the audio portion you may want to look at encasing a small bluetooth speaker in fondant and embedding it in the cake. This one is about 2" cubed, it has 4 hours of battery life and can communicate wirelessly with a laptop or smartphone (with bluetooth support) within 30 feet or so.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A91D94/?tag=cakecentral-20

Although you may want to verify that the speaker has a "sleep mode" so it doesn't continually use battery life, since you won't be able to access the power button.

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 5

I did something kind of like this several years back. My friend wanted a speakerbox cake (like a gray, carpet covered speaker box found in the back of a teenager's car/truck). I actually went to the dollar store and found two small plastic encased speakers that could be hooked up to an mp3 player. I covered the speakers in fondant except for the front (which would be outside the cake) and wrapped the wires in plastic wrap and put them thru straws which were sandwiched between two of the layers of cake running out the back. It took a little bit of carving to get the shape right but I made "outer grid covers" with candy melts which were slightly curved (do them on the back of a bowl) and piped borders around them to make the speakers look like they were a part of the cake. After I got it all frosted, I fondant covered the plastic wrapped wires that were sticking out and hooked up the wire to an mp3 player. It was pretty cool to see folks walking up and then realizing that the cake was "playing" music, my daughter and I sat in the corner and cake watched and laughed ourselves silly! The speakers were less than 5 bucks and the MP3 player was loaded with the Groom's favorite music. The first song to play was "Play that Funky Music" so the groom got a good laugh. There is a pic in my photos but don't judge me too harshly, we had to travel two hours with it and it cracked on the top. I repaired it the best I could on site but it was the novelty that everyone loved in the end.

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 5

I did something kind of like this several years back. My friend wanted a speakerbox cake (like a gray, carpet covered speaker box found in the back of a teenager's car/truck). I actually went to the dollar store and found two small plastic encased speakers that could be hooked up to an mp3 player. I covered the speakers in fondant except for the front (which would be outside the cake) and wrapped the wires in plastic wrap and put them thru straws which were sandwiched between two of the layers of cake running out the back. It took a little bit of carving to get the shape right but I made "outer grid covers" with candy melts which were slightly curved (do them on the back of a bowl) and piped borders around them to make the speakers look like they were a part of the cake. After I got it all frosted, I fondant covered the plastic wrapped wires that were sticking out and hooked up the wire to an mp3 player. It was pretty cool to see folks walking up and then realizing that the cake was "playing" music, my daughter and I sat in the corner and cake watched and laughed ourselves silly! The speakers were less than 5 bucks and the MP3 player was loaded with the Groom's favorite music. The first song to play was "Play that Funky Music" so the groom got a good laugh. There is a pic in my photos but don't judge me too harshly, we had to travel two hours with it and it cracked on the top. I repaired it the best I could on site but it was the novelty that everyone loved in the end.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%