Topsy Turvy

Decorating By JenniferTheCakeDiva Updated 7 Sep 2011 , 9:57pm by jeartist

JenniferTheCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferTheCakeDiva Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 3

I really want to make a topsy turvy cake, but I am scared! lol I read where someone posted instructions on how to do it. I am just wondering, can you do it using buttercream instead of fondant? I am not sure if the fondant helps to keep the layers "together" since they are cut at an angle. If anyone has any suggestions on making a topsy turvy PLEASE post!!! Thanks!!

2 replies
SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 3

The first topsy turvy I made was 3 tiers and the bottom 2 were buttercream, only the top was fondant (birthday girls request) doing buttercream tiers made me so nervous! Best advice I can give you is cold cake!!!! Colder the better! The BC topsy turvy cake I made is in my album, it's the orange and pink one with the shoe on top. I only had to transport my cake about 5 minutes away and it was an easy drive, but I transported the cake COLD too!

Also, make sure your tiers fit together perfectly and that everything is level! good luck!

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 3

I went on youtube and there are some really good tutorials. I just made my first one, a 3 tier, following those instructions and it went quite well. I did use fondant but I don't think that made any difference other than easier to handle when stacking.
Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%