What Do You Charge For Cupcakes?

Baking By bluedaisies Updated 10 Sep 2011 , 3:46am by mplaidgirl2

bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 15

I'm going to start selling cupcakes and mini cupcakes. Since I'm a home baker under the cottage food law, they'll be sold by at least dozens. Just looking to see what everyone else charges for theirs?

TIA!

14 replies
DallasTexas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DallasTexas Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 15

(Sorry--double post!)

DallasTexas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DallasTexas Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 15

I guess the price per dozen depends on where you are, other places for people to get cupcakes, your client base, how they are decorated and what your ingredients & materials cost you, plus your time, etc.

For regular-size vanilla/vanilla bean or chocolate cupcakes with a vanilla/vanilla bean or chocolate buttercream frosting, I'd probably charge $12/dozen. These are VERY PLAIN cupcakes--no filling.

If I fancied them up by making them a different flavor (or even putting in chocolate chips and chocolate chunks for a triple chocolate fantasy for example), with a filling, and with a fancier flavor for the frosting, and decorated nicely with a drizzle, candied fruit, whatever, I'd charge more, of course. Fancy schmancy cherry cuppies are a good option for charging more (use the Search feature for the recipe and ideas for decorating).

For the minis, vanilla/vanilla bean or chocolate with vanilla/vanilla bean or chocolate buttercream frosting (VERY PLAIN minis--no filling), I'd probably do $6/doz.

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 12:05am
post #4 of 15

That sounds way too low to me. I live in a very rural area....went to a cupcake festival in a very rural area...they were charging $3. each for filled and frosted...no decorations.. I forgot what the dozen price was, but waaayyyy more than $12 ( I think they were selling 6 for $15). Now, I do think $3. a piece is a bit high but I do have to say....they were selling the hell out of those cupcakes...indivduals and half and whole dozens!!! I think $2.00 a piece is very reasonable.

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 12:06am
post #5 of 15

That sounds way too low to me. I live in a very rural area....went to a cupcake festival in a very rural area...they were charging $3. each for filled and frosted...no decorations.. I forgot what the dozen price was, but waaayyyy more than $12 ( I think they were selling 6 for $15). Now, I do think $3. a piece is a bit high but I do have to say....they were selling the hell out of those cupcakes...indivduals and half and whole dozens!!! I think $2.00 a piece is very reasonable.

JulzyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulzyCakes Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 12:30am
post #6 of 15

In my rural college town area I charge $2 per cupcake with high buttercream and minimal fondant decorations (like a big or several small flowers/leaves). This is for wedding or very large party orders that would be 100+ regular size cupcakes. This also includes the use of one of my cake stands that must be returned.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 12:50am
post #7 of 15

$12 per doz? No way.

I get $2.75 each/$30 doz.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 1:00am
post #8 of 15

My prices are around $3.75 each for buttercake/sponge, $4.00 each for mud cake, and then I add on a cost per handmade decoration, which can be as much as $1.50 per cupcake. My buttercream is a white chocolate vanilla bean buttercream, or a dark chocolate ganache buttercream. Hence the higher prices. Min order is 12.

lilcakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcakebaker Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 1:01am
post #9 of 15

I usually charge 16 dollars a dozen unless they request chocolate liners and then it is 24. Both would include any flavor of icing they wish and fillings if requested.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 3:14pm
post #10 of 15

$4 each/$42 dozen

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 3:22am
post #11 of 15

I charge $20.00 a dozen for basic cake and frosting. $27 a dozen if they are filled and $30.00 a dozen if they are decorated but not filled and $36.00 a dozen if they are filled and decorated.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 3:55am
post #12 of 15

$12/dozen is grocery store pricing...if ingredients and packaging cost you $4, overhead is another $4, and it takes you an hour to complete the order you are getting paid $4/hour (before taxes), with zero profit accruing to your business. The guy who cleans the floor at McDonalds is paid almost twice that.

We start at $2.50 each for basic BC cupcakes, $4+/each with fondant.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 4:19am
post #13 of 15

I charge $2 a cupcake if they are with a cake and same flavor.
$2.50 for plain
$3.00 for filled
and
consult with fondant toppers... Between $3.50 and $4.50 usually

Minimum per flavor is 12

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 12:24am
post #14 of 15

My last wedding I charged $127 for about 100 cupcakes. These were the easiest most plain cupcakes: WASC cupcake with plain white liners and white buttercream. Anything beyond that would have been more.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 3:46am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeQT82

My last wedding I charged $127 for about 100 cupcakes. These were the easiest most plain cupcakes: WASC cupcake with plain white liners and white buttercream. Anything beyond that would have been more.

$127 seems insanely low even for plain plain cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%