How Much Do I Charge!?

Decorating By ieatcakes157 Updated 7 Sep 2011 , 10:07pm by TexasSugar

ieatcakes157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ieatcakes157 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 6

Heya, I'm new to making cakes, and someone has asked whether I can make a 40th birthday cake (just a round one, with the number 40 on, with red and white flowers). She's asked me how much i charge and i haven't a clue what to say.
I've made a few cakes, but they arnt flawless, I'm just a beginner.
How much do i charge!? I'm in the uk by the way lol

Thanks icon_smile.gif

5 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 6

Have you figured out your cost for the cake?

ieatcakes157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ieatcakes157 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 6

Well all the ingredients i already have,
so i guess it would be -
s/r flour about 20pish,
sugar 30p ish
eggs 60p
baking powder nothing i guess lol
margarine 79p
icing (ready to roll stuff) £2 at the most.
coloured icing i havent a clue either as i already have blocks of that!
icing sugar 20p?

My cakes really arnt perfect at all, but if im making them for someone i try to make them the best i can!

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 6

Even if you already have the ingredients, chances are you paid for them at some point. lol

I figure in all of my costs for ingredients, supplies, utilities used, license/insurance (I'm a business) and than add in labor and profit and that's how I determine my price.

You'll need to decide how much you want to make on this order after all of your expenses are covered.

HTH

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatcakes157

Well all the ingredients i already have,
so i guess it would be -
s/r flour about 20pish,
sugar 30p ish
eggs 60p
baking powder nothing i guess lol
margarine 79p
icing (ready to roll stuff) £2 at the most.
coloured icing i havent a clue either as i already have blocks of that!
icing sugar 20p?

My cakes really arnt perfect at all, but if im making them for someone i try to make them the best i can!

have you figured in the cost of the filling (jam, buttercream, or whatever you plan to use) and the buttercream under the roll-out icing? also figure in a small amount for the gas/elec you would use to bake and make the cake & buttermcream. then you would need to buy a cake board and box, plus maybe ribbon to decorate the board or even the bottom edge of the cake? it starts to add up doesn't it! once you have a total figure for all the expenses, say its £7 for example, try and guess how many hours you would need to make everything, from the buttercream to the flowers. say it is 4 hours, and you'd want 5 pounds per hour, so you add (4*£5=) £20 to the cost of the expenses. Then, add in a profit margin, say 5% or 10% or whatever you choose. so £7 ingredients, £20 hourly charge = £27 + 10% = £30. This is how you could work out a price - obviously i'm just using made up numbers and rate per hour and profit etc, just to give you an idea of how to get to a final price.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%