Why Is My Fondant So Soft?

Baking By rosereed55 Updated 11 Sep 2011 , 9:39am by ghana

rosereed55 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 5

I made fondant for the first time and decorated a cake with it last night. My fondant is super soft, almost falling off the cake soft. Is there something I may have done wrong? I just used a basic MMF recipie. Marshmallows, water and powdered sugar.

Also, I shaped the number 4 from rice kripise treats - had never done anything like that but thought I'd try. The 4 turned out great and I tried to cover it in fondant, got one side to look great, but not exactly sure how to cover the other side. Any tips or suggestions on that? And how would you reccommend making it so it can stand up as a 3D 4 on the top of a cake?

Any help, tips and suggestions would be amazing right now! Thanks!

4 replies
Blenderly Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 4:58am
post #2 of 5

My only thought is that maybe you didn't let it rest overnight? Or you may need to add extra powdered sugar to it. I always seem to have to play around with the measurements.
As for your number 4, just poke a skewer up through the bottom of it and it will stand up on your cake! thumbs_up.gif

Tails Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 5

I have struggled with MMF before and I find the best method (for me) is to melt mallows, add a bit of conf sugar to the bowl and mix (so its not just all so runny). Then tip out onto most of the conf sugar on a table.

Knead well. It can still be a little tacky, but when you press it, it should impress but not stick. Takes a few tries to see all the variations. The wrap in clingwrap and leave out until its room temp (I usually leave it for 2-3 hours). Then open again, and reknead, roll out and use icon_smile.gif

As for the numbers, I did just that for my bday cake and I cut out the fondant numbers with cookie cutters, stuck toothpicks into the bottom before they dried (leave them inserted), and left it for 3 days out in the open air (I didnt have any gumtex or tylose powder) and then before serving, I stuck them into the cake icon_smile.gif You can see pics in my album.

Good luck! And if it helps, I find mallows that dont have a lot of powder on them are better to use, and the pink always works better than the white mallows for me haha

AngelFood4 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 5

If you followed the directions and used the right amount of PS, you may have used too much shortening = too much shortening makes the MMF really soft and it doesn't hold up well.

I like to put a 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of shortening aside to help control how much I use and use only that amount to coat the bowl I melt the marshmallows in, the spatula to mix the marshmallows with, the work surface to knead it on and my hands. The less shortening you use the better your MMF will be - more like the texture of regular fondant and it won't droop or sag....hint, hint icon_lol.gif

ghana Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 9:39am
post #5 of 5

I find that if I roll the fondant too thin that happens.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%