Need Help With Toolbox Cake By Tonight

Decorating By Tina_A Updated 7 Sep 2011 , 9:35pm by Tina_A

Tina_A Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a toolbox cake for my Dad's birthday. I just need any idea's on how to construct the top of it. The cake is going to be an open top. The top is going to be held up on un-moving hinges and is very thin. I thought about covering a thin piece of cardboard with fondant, but I kind of feel like its cheating haha. Any ideas? Need them by tonight. His party is tomorrow. Thanks for any help you can give me!

4 replies
theresaf Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 5

I made a jewelry box for my niece (in my photos) and for the top I used (store-bought) rice krispie treats flattened to make the top of the box and covered it in fondant. I rested the top on the box but you can also set it in the back end of your cake if you want it to look like it is opened. btw - some family members loved the jewelery box top and ate it exclusively!! Good luck!

mkaganov Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 5

Usually that top would be made out of gumpaste, but I don't think you have enough time for it to dry completely. I would recommend covering a cardboard with fondant and propping it up with sticks also covered in fondant. That way it doesn't have to be fully dry.

sweettreat101 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 5

I would either use a piece of gum paste, ginger bread cutout or cardboard. If he's not going to eat the lid I don't see a problem with using cardboard. I used it for the top of a graduation cap cake covered in fondant. I really doubt he will care. If you want to try gum paste cut out your pattern and let it dry in the oven with the light on over night.

Tina_A Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for your help. I have worked with rice krispie treats before, but I'm afraid that it would sink in the middle. I'll probably go with some cardboard as I do not have time for gum paste to dry. Just wanted to make sure that there wasn't another option I was overlooking. Thanks again for your help! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%