Easier Way To Frost A 4 Inch Cake (It Moves Everywhere)

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 9 Sep 2011 , 4:27pm by LeanneW

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 14

Hi, I know there has got to be an easier way to frost a 4 inch round cake, When I set it on the turntable to frost it, it just moves everywhere since it isn't very heavy. Does anyone have any tips on this? Do I use tape somehow?
Thanks
Kiley

13 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 14

There's really no way to stick them down. You have to used thin constistency frosting/ganache and apply a couple of coats. They are such a pain - I have to make some 2" ones in a couple of weeks and I'm not looking forward to it at all! I also have to cover them in fondant, and my plan is to ganache them to a fondant circle on the base before ganaching the sides/top and finally putting the fondant on.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 14

I put the 4 inch cake on a cardboard circle, then
before placing the circle and cake on top of my turntable I will place a piece of non skid mat ( shelf linner ) under the cardboard cirlce ( small enough that it is completely under it. This helps alot but still a pain

I love doing the little cakes for co-workers and friends and as Smash cakes for 1st birthdays but they are harder to do ...good luck

naty123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naty123 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 14

I put a wet washcloth on the turntable and then place the cake which is on the cake board on the wash cloth.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 14

I also use non skid you can find it at the Dollar Tree. I also place it under my cakes when delivering to keep them from shifting in the car.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 14

I don't use a board, I put it right on the turn table to ice, and then slide the whole thing off with a pancake flipper, and put it on the board then add the border.

cakedoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoff Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 14

Try filling the layers first and even the outer sides. Place in the freezer for 20 min. or so. Then ice the sides and top. Lessens the 'shifting' problem.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 14

I'd put it on a dummy over celophane and stick a skewer thru it!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 9:59pm
post #9 of 14

I attach it with a little icing to the board, fill and gently crumb coat it (thin the icing a bit if you have to) and then chill well...then its much easier to ice.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 10:10pm
post #10 of 14

I like your idea, yummy_in_my_tummy! I usually do like Kitagirl and I use SMBC so that's very soft to work with and not too much trouble. I can imagine that ABC would be a nightmare!

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 10:22pm
post #11 of 14

Oh I love 4" cakes! My favorites of all. I use a meringue bc which is super soft, and that little cake sits still for me. I think ABC must be harder to do since it's so thick?

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 4:50am
post #12 of 14

If you use the "upside down" technique, you can have a board on the bottom of the cake (which is upside down, so it's faced up), and then you can hold the cake steady with your non-icing hand.

katj012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katj012 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 8:46pm
post #13 of 14

I always put the cake on a board, then place a bubble of painters tape on a larger board (8") and then put it on my turntable. I use painters tape for ALL my cakes to keep them from moving, even though I probably don't need to!

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 4:27pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy_in_my_tummy

I'd put it on a dummy over celophane and stick a skewer thru it!!

YES!!!!! Light bulb moment!

this makes so much sense. I usually put it on a cake circle and put a skewer through the top and hold that while I frost the sides, then take the skewer out to do the top, but if it goes into styro, then i don't have to hold it

THANK YOU!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%