Finally Reaching Out For Help!!!!!

Decorating By lyndya Updated 7 Sep 2011 , 9:13pm by cakestyles

lyndya Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 8

Please. I am having so much trouble with my buttercream sliding off the sides of my cakes; doesnt happen when I decorate at my home, but at my shop with all the humidity, it has been DEVASTATING.
Would adding egg white powder as a stabilizer help???

7 replies
cakestyles Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 8

What type of butter cream do you use and what's the recipe? Are you icing cakes that have been refrigerated or frozen? Are they cold when you ice them?

It could be the consistency of your icing that needs to be adjusted since it's more humid at work.

Or it could be that the cake is cold when you ice it and as it comes to room temperature it's sweating or condensation is forming which is causing the icing to pull away from the cake.

Crazboutcakes Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 8

I agree with cakestyles, cakes are going to sweat when they are just taken out of frig, is your BC all butter, 50/50 shortning/butter ?Butter has a tendancy to melt alot faster, and if it is a 50/50 it helps but still not the total ansewwer. I live here in Florida and in the humidity I use this icing working so much better, still have to keep it out of the elements completely but holds up great.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/4123/high-humidity-buttercream

GenGen Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 8

i found in any amount of warmth and humidty especially the need for meringue powder is a MUST.

lyndya Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 8

I do refrigerate my cakes; before I torte and fill them, and then again after I have iced, to harden the buttercream before I do the final smoothing - I use 50/50 butter and high-ratio shortening. Maybe it could be the initial sweating.
I am going to try the meringue powder in hopes to stabilize it. Also need a de-humidifier!
What proportions do you use for the meringue powder??

GenGen Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 8

i dont have access to hi ratio though i'd like to..

honestly i just use wiltons bc recipe and add the amount of meringue it calls for- but more times then not i add in extra.. the key is to have right on or more meringue rather then less.

the way i do my cakes, bake, soon as it comes out of oven put dish cloth over and press gently to flatten- never have to trim to level my cakes this way.

remove from pan on board once cool i wrap and freeze

then place filling in, top with 2nd layer of cake, put on crumb coat then refreeze for a few minutes to set up, put final coat on and let come to room temp. if its warm i put a fan on and crank up the ac icon_smile.gif

GenGen Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 8

i dont have access to hi ratio though i'd like to..

honestly i just use wiltons bc recipe and add the amount of meringue it calls for- but more times then not i add in extra.. the key is to have right on or more meringue rather then less.

the way i do my cakes, bake, soon as it comes out of oven put dish cloth over and press gently to flatten- never have to trim to level my cakes this way.

remove from pan on board once cool i wrap and freeze

then place filling in, top with 2nd layer of cake, put on crumb coat then refreeze for a few minutes to set up, put final coat on and let come to room temp. if its warm i put a fan on and crank up the ac icon_smile.gif

cakestyles Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 8

The hi-ratio should be enough to deal with the humidity...I add hi-ratio to my all butter bc recipe when it's hot and humid here.

I think you probably need to adjust the amount of powdered sugar you use...I find that in the humid weather I use less liquid and more ps in my recipe.

That's the beauty of hi-ratio shortening, it has the ability to absorb a lot more liquid than regular shortening or just butter alone. It's great when it's humid.

I've never had any luck icing a cold cake...the one time I tried it my icing kept sliding off the sides because the cake was actually "wet" as it came to room temp. So I ice room temperature cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%