I Need Help With A Price Quote Please

Lounge By Tfaye Updated 7 Sep 2011 , 7:16pm by Tfaye

Tfaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tfaye Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 3

I have several questions actually.

First, I need to make a cake to feed 100 people. I only have 10 X 15 X 2 sheet pan. So I thought I would make four cakes from that pan and then stack one on top of the other. (So that would be two separate cakes).

Would that feed 100 people, or is that too much cake? Second how much should I charge?

The cakes will be plain chocolate and vanilla, but covered in fondant with cookie cutter decorations.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 3

The standard wedding cake serving size is 1"x2"x4". You will have two 4" tall cakes with a total of 150 square inches surface on each, so that's 75 servings per cake.

To set a price, you need to determine the cost of ingredients, the cost of your labor (your hourly wage x the amount of time needed to complete the order), and your overhead cost (licensing fees, insurance, marginal utilities, etc.) on a per-order basis. Add up these costs, then add another 20-30% for your profit margin.

You should also check to see if your state legally allows the sale of homemade cakes, in some states this is OK but other states require a licensed commercial kitchen.

Tfaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tfaye Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 3

Thank You! My state allows selling cakes.

This retirement cake is for a family member and I wasn't going to charge them full price. I was figuring that I would find out how much this cake should be charged, and then cut the price in half and that would be my gift.

But on the other hand maybe I should just charge the full amount and get him a gift. *decisions*

Again, thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%