So Excited! Gender Reveal Cake!

Decorating By SweetSuzieQ Updated 27 Sep 2011 , 3:02am by KateLS

SweetSuzieQ Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 25

I just got an order to do a gender reveal cake for a baby shower and, it seems silly but, I'm super excited about it!

The couple has not been told the sex of their baby and, will have the U/S tech call ME with it. I will then tint the cake pink or blue depending on the results and decorate the outside neutral (mom wants white buttercream and decorations), the parents won't know until they cut into the cake at the party!

I have never heard of this before but, thought it was such a cute, cute idea and, I am very excited to do it!

24 replies
VaBelle Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 25

How great is that?!?! So exciting for you. I would looooove to do a cake like that.

ReneeFLL Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 25

Thats wonderful!! Doing a gender revel cake would be fun, but being that only you will know the sex is just fabulous. I would love to see the parents faces when they cut into it. If you are not going to be there to see it, ask them to please send you some photos. Maybe you can post them here also if the parents allow it. Would love to see some. Have fun making it.

Lindsram Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 25

I did this for my friends wedding. The Dr. wrote the gender in an envelope and my friend gave it to me. I was the only person to know for a whole week. It was so fun to watch them cut the cake. But I felt more pressure to make my cake perfect though. It was a boy and I made a blue velvet cake with blue cream cheese filling. It was a hit!

FerrariGal Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 25

I would be excited too! I couldn't talk my last client into letting me do one for her! LOL. She wanted to make the announcement at the party herself. There are a couple of really cute question mark shaped cakes on CC. So much fun!

carmijok Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 25

Here's the one I did recently:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2106236

The cake below was what the mom to be wanted (all chocolate) and the little box on top was the cake that had the pink filling. She said it was a big hit at her party! And I loved knowing I knew what the baby was way before she did! It was tough not to give it away believe me!

AnnieCahill Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 25

Carmijok,

I totally favorited your cake when you posted it that day. I LOVE IT!!

GenGen Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 25

the cake is so cute. how did you do the letters?

augurey Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 9:38pm
post #9 of 25

I had never heard of such a thing until carmijok made a post about hers. I think it sounds fun and know that I know plan to do that with mine (some day maybe, in the far future).

But congrats on getting a gender reveal order! It sounds like it'll be a lot of fun!

instant-gratificaketion Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 10:36pm
post #10 of 25

Haha! Carmijok, I faved that one the day you posted it too!

Those cakes are such an awesome idea!

JaneK Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 11:24pm
post #11 of 25

I did one a few months ago too!! They are such fun! In this case only the mom/dad knew and it was a way of announcing it to the family..the inside of the cake was pink..was a girl but they wanted the outside to look gender neutral..

Here is my cake

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1940888

Elcee Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 1:27am
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSuzieQ

I just got an order to do a gender reveal cake for a baby shower and, it seems silly but, I'm super excited about it!

I'd be excited, too, it's such a fun thing!

I'm doing a proposal cake for a friend's son in a couple of weeks and I'm really looking forward to it.

SweetSuzieQ Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 1:42am
post #13 of 25

Thanks guys. I had never heard of it before the order. The client is a regular of mine (cupcakes) and when she called and asked me to please do the cake for her, I was thrilled.

I am a little nervous about it since I'm a cupcake girl and not really a cake decorator but, she said she doesn't care as she doesn't want anyone else to do it! LOL

Thanks for the samples ladies, your cakes are lovely!!

diane Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 3:20am
post #14 of 25

That's so exciting! You are the only one who knows...I love this idea! I've seen this done on t.v. and everyone just loves it! icon_lol.gif

Panel7124 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 10:51am
post #15 of 25

I will then tint the cake pink or blue depending on the results and decorate the outside neutral (mom wants white buttercream and decorations), the parents won't know until they cut into the cake at the party!

I have never heard of this before but, thought it was such a cute, cute idea and, I am very excited to do it![/quote]

I've read about gender reveal cake on CC for the first time some time ago. I think it's a superb idea! Would like to make one, must definitely advertise this type of cake on my website, there is nothing like that in my country! Thanks for posting it and congratulations on your first gender reveal cake, good luck, it will be beautiful!!

2xMiMi Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 11:40am
post #16 of 25

I had not heard of this until my son and daughter-in-law had ask me if I would do it for them. Now they found out they are having twins and they want to know immediately. No gender cake but two more wonderful grandchildren to love and spoil.

Swede-cakes Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 12:43pm
post #17 of 25

Good for you! It's so exciting and different, isn't it? I have one on order for October, and the couple is a wedding client of mine from last year! They had their Ob/Gyn office mail the ultrasound results in an envelope to me about a month ago. It's almost as cool as finding out what gender my own kids were years ago!!

We're going to do a white bc cake with pink and blue fondant rings on the outside, white vanilla cake and the bc filling with be either pink or blue. A big fancy question mark on the top!

My clients are going to do one more cool thing too... the mom gave me the number to the florist they're using, and I'm supposed to call them and tell THEM the gender so they can box up the appropriate color helium balloons in a sealed box, which will be released at the same time they see the first slice of cake come out!

Have a great time with it!

sechrestloans Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 1:15pm
post #18 of 25

I was able to do my first one this year. They were going to find out at a fourth of july picnic so they wanted it decorated for 4th of July. It was so cool knowing that myself and the doctor were the only ones knowing the gender until that day! It is the 4th of July cake in my photos with the bow on it. She ended up posting a piece of the cake cut on her facebook page that day. It was pretty neat.

QTCakes1 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 1:36pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Here's the one I did recently:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2106236

The cake below was what the mom to be wanted (all chocolate) and the little box on top was the cake that had the pink filling. She said it was a big hit at her party! And I loved knowing I knew what the baby was way before she did! It was tough not to give it away believe me!

That is so fricken cute! That was a great way to do the reveal cake. I would love to do one, but I think the pressure of being the only that knows would really be something!

carmijok Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 8:27pm
post #20 of 25

wow, thanks for all the complements...I wasn't looking for any...just wanted to show the OP a gender reveal cake! icon_redface.gif I'm really flattered.

Gengen: the letters are the Tappits funky alphabet letters. There were no funky puctuation marks so I improvised the question marks. Think I could have done better on those!

Marianna46 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 11:07pm
post #21 of 25

I thought the question marks were totally cute, along with the whole rest of the cake, carmijok! I didn't see it when you first posted it, but I just looked at it, left you a comment and put it in my favorites. I just love it, and I'm enchanted with the whole idea of a gender reveal cake. One of my daughters is going through IVF soon, so I think I'm going to try to talk her into letting me do one, if not for them, at least for their friends.

Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 1:13am
post #22 of 25

I have heard of this before and it is a cute idea...

JamAndButtercream Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 7:20pm
post #23 of 25

awww! thats such a cute idea!

Hope you upload a pic when your done! icon_smile.gif

Crikkitt Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 2:47am
post #24 of 25

We're doing one for this weekend and the mother picked out your cake, carmijok, as her inspiration cake! She texted me the picture and I KNEW it looked familiar. I'm looking forward to this, I think it's going to be so fun.

KateLS Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 3:02am
post #25 of 25

I've been on a baby website lately (yay!), and heard of this for the first time. So so cute! However, there was one gal on there that said they dropped their envelope at the bakery, asked for a gender reveal cake, and got a really cute cake..... but the inside was white. They forgot to dye it. So luckily, the bakery gave them the envelope back with the cake, and they opened it to find out. Ooops. =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%