Gelatin On Fondant, Why Did This Happen?

Decorating By idjitmom Updated 9 Sep 2011 , 4:13pm by Herekittykitty

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 5

A long while ago I did a cake with decorations that required placing some cut out (thin) gelatin decorations on a fondant cake. It was long enough ago that I do not remember all of the particulars - temperature of cake (was it still chilled), if the gelatin cut-outs were still cold or not, or what proportion of gelatin (flavored & unflavored) I used to water. I do know that it was not the weather (it doesn't get very humid/hot here, it was in early spring, & I always keep it pretty cool inside anyway). What I do remember is that in rather quick order after placing the gelatin on the cake the gelatin started melting. If I had left it long enough I am sure I would have just had a puddle. I removed the gelatin & replaced with fondant decorations. However, now I have a cake coming up - fondant w/ gelatin decorations - in which a quick fix won't be do-able. Does anyone have any advice on why this happened, & how/if I can avoid it this time?? TIA!!

4 replies
Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 5

No idea. I know the water content in the gelatin might turn the fondant to soup, but I have no idea why fondant would melt gelatin.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 12:17am
post #3 of 5

Jell-O gelatine decorations or Gelatine gelatine decorations? There is a difference.

Gelatine decorations are hard and cut out or molded (Like the gelatine bubbles sweetflowers does or the butterflies on bobwonderbuns' avatar) and are generally clear and get hard. Unless they get wet (say by the condensation from a cake coming to room temp) they don't melt. It is best to attach these with a dab of melted chocolate or RI.

Since Jell-O gelatine is mostly water, there is no way to keep it from melting when it comes to room temp, that's just what it does.

Maybe you could make Knox blox, the recipe is on the Knox gelatine box, they are more firm but have no idea if they are "shelf stable".

HTH.

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 7:02am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

Jell-O gelatine decorations or Gelatine gelatine decorations? There is a difference.

Gelatine decorations are hard and cut out or molded (Like the gelatine bubbles sweetflowers does or the butterflies on bobwonderbuns' avatar) and are generally clear and get hard. Unless they get wet (say by the condensation from a cake coming to room temp) they don't melt. It is best to attach these with a dab of melted chocolate or RI.

Since Jell-O gelatine is mostly water, there is no way to keep it from melting when it comes to room temp, that's just what it does.

Maybe you could make Knox blox, the recipe is on the Knox gelatine box, they are more firm but have no idea if they are "shelf stable".

HTH.

What I am using this time is made w/ flavored jello + unflavored gelatin - 1 small pkg of jello, 2 env unflavored gelatin & 1/2 cup water. By itself the end result of this mixture is pretty shelf stable (& sort of chewy like a gummy bear) - and it doesn't melt or even get soft at room temperature or hotter. I tried an experiment today, & put a room temp block (I am making lego blocks w/ the gelatin) on a room temp piece of fondant. It didn't melt as much or as fast as what I had done before, but it def did some - the block oozed enough liquid to stain the (white) fondant around it noticably. I guess it just isn't going to happen!! thumbsdown.gif

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 5

Can you try coating the bottom gelatine piece with RI or chocolate and see if that stops it from oozing onto your cake? The only thing I can think is that there is enough moisture in the fondant to melt the gelatine.

Sorry this is not working out for you, it sounds like a cool idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%