Black Chocolate?

Baking By MostlyCupcakes Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 7:20pm by Herekittykitty

MostlyCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MostlyCupcakes Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 24

I need to make some black cake pops but dont know how to achieve the black color. Previously, I had used black gel coloring from Wilton and you guessed it, it seized. I did some research and found that I needed to get black candy color instead of black gel paste to get the chocolate black. That also seized. I have searched online for black chocolate melts (which show merckens is the maker) but its sold out everywhere.

I need to do cakepops in black and also need to pipe black designs on colored cakepops. Please help me!!!! What can I do to get my chocolate black in color??

23 replies
btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 24

Try black food color. Its a powder and won't seize chocolate.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 24

Have you tried powdered colours? That's what I use to colour my cake pops and the chocolate never seizes

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 24

try michael's crafts or wilton. Wilton makes black candy melts at halloween time. I usually buy about ten bags to have it on hand all year.

MostlyCupcakes Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 24

any recommendations on what brand and where to buy? How about painting it on? I need to do some penguin cakepops....any ideas/suggestions?

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 24

Hi,
How about black candy melts? I just bought a cake pop book called pop bakery, and they make penguin cake pops in there!
They use black candy melts.

Heres a link,
http://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk/acatalog/Midnight-Black-Halloween-Candy-Melts.html#aK_2d1911_2d489

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

MostlyCupcakes Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 24

I would LOVE black candy melts but I cannot find them anywhere icon_sad.gif Not in stores and not even online. icon_sad.gif

JamAndButtercream Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 24

@MostlyCupcakes
Are you UK or US?

MostlyCupcakes Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 24

US

JamAndButtercream Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 4:41pm
post #10 of 24

Ok, watch this space, I'll try and find a US website, the jet black candy melts are halloween ones.

I post a link on this post in a min...........

Edited : Hi again, I think you should go with colouring the chocolate with black powder colouring, I've found tons websites selling black candy melts, but they're all uk websites.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 5:39pm
post #11 of 24

I have never had trouble with seizing and the candy colors - they are oil based and should mix in like a dream. Perhaps you had a bad batch? Or something that said "Candy color" but wasn't actually oil based?

KoryAK Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 5:45pm
post #12 of 24

I have never had trouble with seizing and the candy colors - they are oil based and should mix in like a dream. Perhaps you had a bad batch? Or something that said "Candy color" but wasn't actually oil based?

MostlyCupcakes Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 6:37pm
post #13 of 24

I used the wilton candy colors, bought both sets of colors, but as soon as I put it in the chocolate it seized. icon_sad.gif

KoryAK Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 7:22pm
post #14 of 24

What kind of chocolate are you using? Theoretically, the oil colors should work in all but there are all kinds of weird problems that come up when you are using chocolate chips. Are you using candy melts?

MostlyCupcakes Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 7:25pm
post #15 of 24

I am using chocolate almond bark

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 7:36pm
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

try michael's crafts or wilton. Wilton makes black candy melts at halloween time. I usually buy about ten bags to have it on hand all year.

Same here. I don't know if any of the craft stores have come out with them yet, but I always buy a few nextra to keep on hand.

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 7:50pm
post #17 of 24
wowgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wowgirl Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 5:32pm
post #18 of 24

Hi

I have been looking for wilton black candy melts as well and can't seem to find them. When I called Michael's they said to use wilton milk or dark chocolte melts and then add the wilton black paste. She said the candy melts had to be wilton though because the bulk ones had more oil in them or something to that effect.....they wouldn't work anyway. I hope this helps you

wowgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wowgirl Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 5:33pm
post #19 of 24

Hi

I have been looking for wilton black candy melts as well and can't seem to find them. When I called Michael's they said to use wilton milk or dark chocolte melts and then add the wilton black paste. She said the candy melts had to be wilton though because the bulk ones had more oil in them or something to that effect.....they wouldn't work anyway. I hope this helps you

ANGELAKAY264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANGELAKAY264 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 5:46pm
post #20 of 24

How about using the spray in the can? They make that in black....good luck!

KoryAK Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 6:23pm
post #21 of 24

Sprays will bead up on chocolate unless you have the specially formulated one

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 6:48pm
post #22 of 24

Michael's and JoAnnes sell the Black candy melts this time of year. I did a search online for Black Candy Coating and recieved several hits.

Global Sugar Art has black in stock. http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=1060&s=0&name=Candy-%20Real%20Chocolate%20&%20Coatings/Merckens%20Compound%20Coatings

If all else fails - black powder coloring.

LittleBites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBites Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 6:49pm
post #23 of 24

Oh I just saw black wilton candy melts at Joanns this week! I thought I would look at Michaels bc they would be cheaper but good to know now they dont have them. I better stock up on them bc I figured they just had them out for halloween.. They also had a lime green color too!

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:20pm
post #24 of 24

Both the Black and Lime Green by Wilton are Halloween specials.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%