Not Too Much Is It?

Decorating By bluedaisies Updated 7 Sep 2011 , 4:02pm by Annabakescakes

bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 5

I had an order for just a smash cake. My smash cakes are souffle dish size, about 4 in wide. She chose to have me deliver it rather than her pick it up. I'm approx 30 miles from where she's located. I would have only charged $10, but with deliver she's paying $20. $10 delivery charge. Great that she's paying it, my cheapo self just seems like that's a lot. Is it?

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 5

Smallest cake I will do alone is an 8in round, so I think she is getting a deal from you.

If she's not complaining, then don't worry about the price. I'd probably charge more than $10 for a 60 mile drive, you have to get there and back, and that takes up your time. Does $10 cover your gas and time spent doing it?

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 5

My smallest cake is either 8" tripple layer or 10" double layer starting at $50 and I only deliver 10 miles from home. I don't think its worth the drive, gas and time for you to deliver a ten dollar cake. its not just the 30 miles its 60 and an hour of your time!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 5

If it takes you 1 hour to bake and decorate, 1 hour to deliver, $5 in ingredients, $5 in per-order overhead, and $5 in gas/wear & tear for the delivery, you are paying yourself $2.50/hour with a profit margin of zero.

Our smallest cake is also an 8" (starts at $44), and we charge $1/min for delivery, so our price for that order delivered would be $104.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisies

I had an order for just a smash cake. My smash cakes are souffle dish size, about 4 in wide. She chose to have me deliver it rather than her pick it up. I'm approx 30 miles from where she's located. I would have only charged $10, but with deliver she's paying $20. $10 delivery charge. Great that she's paying it, my cheapo self just seems like that's a lot. Is it?

I won't do just a smash cake, unless it is a photo prop, and they have a birthday cake on order. Minimum is $25 and my minimum delivery charge is $25

And that is just the photo prop with the $25 minimum, my regular minimum is $48.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%