Icing A Cake Problems!!

Decorating By DolceDiva2011 Updated 8 Sep 2011 , 3:07am by DolceDiva2011

DolceDiva2011 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 7

I have the same two problems everytime I ice a cake...first problem is covering the corners and edges..second problem is for some reason it always bubbles out after sitting where the filling area is...any suggestions to help me please?? I own a business and I am a GREAT decorator but Terrible icer!!

6 replies
TexasSugar Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolceDiva2011

second problem is for some reason it always bubbles out after sitting where the filling area is

Do you let your cakes settle a few hours after filling before icing?

AnnieCahill Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 7

Don't overfill, and if you use a crusting buttercream, make sure your dam is stiff enough to mold with your fingers, but make it so you can still pipe it through a coupler.

I don't even use crusting BCs anymore and I don't have the bulge problem. I think it has a lot do to with people overfilling and putting the dam too close to the edge. I also push down pretty firmly on my cake after it's filled, causing any extra to smush out of the sides before I ice it.

You can also put a cookbook or something heavy on top to compress it if you have the time.

DolceDiva2011 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 7

i usually freeze my cakes before icing..

sweettreat101 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 7

Are you thawing them before decorating or decorating them frozen? I never decorate a frozen cake because of the condensation that happens while the cake thaws. I tried frosting a partially frozen cake and my frosting started sliding off the side of the cake. Never again.

DolceDiva2011 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 3:07am
post #6 of 7

yes i ice them when frozen, i had read it is better to do when frozen so you dont risk it falling apart while icing

DolceDiva2011 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 3:07am
post #7 of 7

yes i ice them when frozen, i had read it is better to do when frozen so you dont risk it falling apart while icing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%