Superhero Cake

Decorating By Shallwyn Updated 11 Sep 2011 , 8:20am by Shallwyn

Shallwyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shallwyn Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 10:01am
post #1 of 24

My son is going to turn 5 in November and his request is for a Cake with Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Ironman, Ben 10 and Lighting Mcqueen. Phew! I really want to fulfill his wish. But a bit anxious to do it, as I am not a profesional cake decorator icon_cry.gif . Please can anyone give me some ideas or links to any tutorials to do these figurines, or cake ideas.

Thanks in advance

23 replies
Aeolytheis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeolytheis Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 10:32am
post #2 of 24

Does he want all these elements combined into one cake? Or will he be happy with just one icon_smile.gif there are lots of inspiring cakes in this gallery

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&aid=190

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 11:48am
post #3 of 24

I saw on here I think that some one had done tiered cakes with each one in the super hero form on it came out extremely cute, or you can just make a 8/9 " and cup cakes with fondant cut outs of the super hero's emblem made out of fondant, just a thought

Aeolytheis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeolytheis Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 12:09pm
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazboutcakes

I saw on here I think that some one had done tiered cakes with each one in the super hero form on it

kinda like this idea --> http://cakecentral.com/gallery/143285

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 24

Here is one that I made. It was pretty easy
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1625932

I just found the symbols online and cut out a template to use to cut the fondant out.

Figurines would be pretty difficult to do - hard to get the aspect ratios correct. This on the other hand is pretty simple and effective (although I put a Nutella filling in the bottom level and didn't put straws in to keep the weight of the top tier from smooshing it down, hence the uneveness!). icon_smile.gif

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 24

Have you looked into making a frozen buttercream transfer? It's pretty easy to do. You just print out a picture, then put wax paper over it and trace with buttercream. It looks awesome without requiring professional decorating skills. There's a how-to on "FBCT" on here if you're interested.

nursingnellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nursingnellie Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci_doodle

Have you looked into making a frozen buttercream transfer? It's pretty easy to do. You just print out a picture, then put wax paper over it and trace with buttercream. It looks awesome without requiring professional decorating skills. There's a how-to on "FBCT" on here if you're interested.

I did a superhero cake for my son's bday and used chocolate transfers for a bunch of superheroes - it's similar to the above description of FBCT but using candy melts rather than BC. I like them because they stand up well so are easy to play around with their placement on the cake. My cake was a skyscraper/building cake with choc transfers of Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Thor, Ironman, Wolverine, and Hulk.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 24

Here's my super hero cake I did for my daughter....

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1606221

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 24

Shallwyn: I think the cake that melnick did would be a great way to get the ideas of all these superheros on the same cake. I personally think that with all of those that you named you will need a bigger cake or you could do a buttercream transfer of all of them and keep them fairly small to medium and put them on a sheet cake and use colors from them all if possible in the borders or maybe some confetti. I think that if you stuck to transfers that were no bigger than 4 to 6" for either measurement that you should be able to get all of them on the top of a 12 x 18" sheet cake. YOu can get them made up ahead of time and while they are all waiting for placement take the bottom side of your sheet cake pan and come up with an arrangement of all these pictures. put the fbct's on and put a simple border around the top and bottom in a complimentary color or colors or just white and then sprinkle some little colored confetti over the top of the cake in-between the transfers and something that I have seen a lot of and I think it would be pretty simple is to also take 3 colors that would look good with all of the superheros and take a size 2 or 3 writing tube and just do little doodles on top of the bottom border. I would say like a zig-zag except more rounded on the points and do one color over the others in a way that all the colors show up. Kind of like the bottom border on this one www.cakecentral.com/gallery1228468.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 10:19pm
post #10 of 24

shallwyn, in the post that I just submitted I gave a picture of a cake's gallery # and I said like the bottom border. My mistake, it was the top border on that cake. anyway that is just what I was trying to discribe to you.

Shallwyn Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 8:40am
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules5000

Shallwyn: I think the cake that melnick did would be a great way to get the ideas of all these superheros on the same cake. I personally think that with all of those that you named you will need a bigger cake or you could do a buttercream transfer of all of them and keep them fairly small to medium and put them on a sheet cake and use colors from them all if possible in the borders or maybe some confetti. I think that if you stuck to transfers that were no bigger than 4 to 6" for either measurement that you should be able to get all of them on the top of a 12 x 18" sheet cake. YOu can get them made up ahead of time and while they are all waiting for placement take the bottom side of your sheet cake pan and come up with an arrangement of all these pictures. put the fbct's on and put a simple border around the top and bottom in a complimentary color or colors or just white and then sprinkle some little colored confetti over the top of the cake in-between the transfers and something that I have seen a lot of and I think it would be pretty simple is to also take 3 colors that would look good with all of the superheros and take a size 2 or 3 writing tube and just do little doodles on top of the bottom border. I would say like a zig-zag except more rounded on the points and do one color over the others in a way that all the colors show up. Kind of like the bottom border on this one www.cakecentral.com/gallery1228468.

Thank you sooo very much for your advice. I to like melnick's cake, I really wanted to do figurines, hoowever this cake look really good.

Shallwyn Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 8:41am
post #12 of 24
Quote:

Thank you sooo very much for your advice. I to like melnick's cake, I really wanted to do figurines, hoowever this cake look really good.

Shallwyn Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 8:43am
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolytheis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazboutcakes

I saw on here I think that some one had done tiered cakes with each one in the super hero form on it

kinda like this idea --> http://cakecentral.com/gallery/143285

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I tried looking at the link, however I can't see this cake it says the photo doesnot exist. Is there any other link

Shallwyn Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 8:50am
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnick

I just found the symbols online and cut out a template to use to cut the fondant out.

Figurines would be pretty difficult to do - hard to get the aspect ratios correct. This on the other hand is pretty simple and effective (although I put a Nutella filling in the bottom level and didn't put straws in to keep the weight of the top tier from smooshing it down, hence the uneveness!). icon_smile.gif

Thank you for sharing your cake pic with me, i am really inspired thumbs_up.gif , I want to do a figurine too.... hmm..maybe I could do faces instead of logos?

Shallwyn Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 8:52am
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursingnellie

Quote:

I did a superhero cake for my son's bday and used chocolate transfers for a bunch of superheroes - it's similar to the above description of FBCT but using candy melts rather than BC. I like them because they stand up well so are easy to play around with their placement on the cake. My cake was a skyscraper/building cake with choc transfers of Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Thor, Ironman, Wolverine, and Hulk.

I would really like to see the picture, could you please give me your link. Thank you

Shallwyn Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 8:55am
post #16 of 24
Quote:

Dear Traci, I have never tried FBCT, to scared to try it as I have never piped anyhing icon_redface.gif I am more comfortable with Fondant. But would like to try FBCT some day

Shallwyn Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 8:56am
post #17 of 24
Quote:

shallwyn, in the post that I just submitted I gave a picture of a cake's gallery # and I said like the bottom border. My mistake, it was the top border on that cake. anyway that is just what I was trying to discribe to you.

Sadly I could not see the pic in the link.

nursingnellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nursingnellie Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 4:15am
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallwyn

Quote:

I would really like to see the picture, could you please give me your link. Thank you

I hadn't posted it because I wasn't super pleased with the final product (if I'd just left myself a little more time I think it could have been great...I was up all night working on the thing and it just didn't come together for me) but I just posted it. Here's the link: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2150688. By that time, a couple of the superheroes had gone to pieces, but as it says in the description, it's only because I didn't finish the choc transfers properly - it would have been so easy but no, I just had to be defiant... icon_lol.gif

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 5:00am
post #19 of 24

Here is a Super Hero cake that I did for someone. The original design was like a 6 or 7 tier cake! So because she did not need that much cake I figured out a way to squeeze all of them into one cake. You are more than welcome to use any ideas from it if you like it.

Good luck!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2099422

Shallwyn Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 6:32am
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirlcakes

Here is a Super Hero cake that I did for someone. The original design was like a 6 or 7 tier cake! So because she did not need that much cake I figured out a way to squeeze all of them into one cake. You are more than welcome to use any ideas from it if you like it.

Good luck!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2099422

Thank you so much for sharing this with me. Such neat work thumbs_up.gif , not sure if i can acheive the same.

Shallwyn Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 6:35am
post #21 of 24
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallwyn

Quote:

I hadn't posted it because I wasn't super pleased with the final product (if I'd just left myself a little more time I think it could have been great...I was up all night working on the thing and it just didn't come together for me) but I just posted it. Here's the link: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2150688. By that time, a couple of the superheroes had gone to pieces, but as it says in the description, it's only because I didn't finish the choc transfers properly - it would have been so easy but no, I just had to be defiant... icon_lol.gif

Thank you for uploading your pic, looks like a lot of work..must have been hours and hours of hardwork. I am nervous

Shallwyn Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 6:42am
post #22 of 24
Quote:

Dear Melnick, I feel very inclined to doing a cake like yours, please could you give me tips on the technique you used to cut the base fondant did you cut them into triangles and then placed them all together. On the symbols , what size should i use and how long in advance could i make them, should i use fondant or Gumpaste. Sorry if I can asking to many dumb questions.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Regards, Sharon

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 7:35am
post #23 of 24

Sorry about the slow reply. I must have accidentally clicked on the stop watching link. I cut the fondant into a rectangle to go on the sides and then tapered the top to a triangle from where it went over the edge of the cake. The white strips hide the joins quite well. Also, the cake on top of the bottom tier hides how it looks under there so will hide any imperfections. On the top, I put a circle of fondant to cover up the imperfections there because I wasn't happy with how it looked and stuck all the stars into that piece of fondant.

I made all the symbols out of fondant as I was decorating - I like the softness of fondant so the kids could eat them and it allowed them to wrap around the shape of the cake. I kinda just worked out what space I had to fill and then made the symbol that size on the computer. I cut out several of the same symbol and just cut out the pieces so that it was easy to trace the various colours with a knife.

The thing that takes the longest is colouring up the fondant - you can do that in advance and cutting out the symbols. Putting it all together is actually quite easy.

Good luck Sharon!

Shallwyn Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 8:20am
post #24 of 24
Quote:

Sorry about the slow reply. I must have accidentally clicked on the stop watching link. I cut the fondant into a rectangle to go on the sides and then tapered the top to a triangle from where it went over the edge of the cake. The white strips hide the joins quite well. Also, the cake on top of the bottom tier hides how it looks under there so will hide any imperfections. On the top, I put a circle of fondant to cover up the imperfections there because I wasn't happy with how it looked and stuck all the stars into that piece of fondant.

I made all the symbols out of fondant as I was decorating - I like the softness of fondant so the kids could eat them and it allowed them to wrap around the shape of the cake. I kinda just worked out what space I had to fill and then made the symbol that size on the computer. I cut out several of the same symbol and just cut out the pieces so that it was easy to trace the various colours with a knife.

The thing that takes the longest is colouring up the fondant - you can do that in advance and cutting out the symbols. Putting it all together is actually quite easy.

Good luck Sharon!

Thank you so much for replying and helping out, Thank you is a small word.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%