**help** 2-Tier Cake For Picnic In The Heat

Decorating By Cosima Updated 7 Sep 2011 , 3:08pm by sweettreat101

Cosima Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 5:35am
post #1 of 5

OK advice from all that have worried about this and their solutions. I have a company picnic that I designed a cake for. It's two tiers; one layer carrot cake with cream cheese frosting the top layer white cake with white butter cream all covered in MMF along with a number of GP elements. My dilemma is it could be 90 degrees out. Im afraid of it melting. Any suggestions or changes I should make? Please advice ASAP as for the picnic is this Sat. Cakes (freezer), fondant & elements are made. Im mostly worried about what I put under the fondant or should I worry about other stuff as well. HELP! Your advice is desperately needed.

4 replies
bakingkat Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 5:51am
post #2 of 5

I think the general consensus is that ganache works best under fondant in warm temps. They say to let it firm up overnight so that it's solid, and you should have no problems. Good luck!

sweettreat101 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 6:45am
post #3 of 5

I suggested this recipe for a lady who needed a butter cream for an outdoor event in Ohio on July 4th. She said it worked wonderfully. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing As for the cream cheese recipe this is the one I would use. try to keep your cake out of direct sunlight and make sure it's chilled well before the event. 1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 pound cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
3 1/2 pounds sifted confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

SHYLERScakes Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 9:47am
post #4 of 5

ok...I live in Hawaii (it's ALWAYS warm here) and this is what I've learned...

Ganache works best under the fondant...bakingkat is totally right!

You want to use a cream cheese frosting with your carrot cake which means you will have to refrigerate...this means that the ganache will not stay firm when it comes to room temperature (ganached cakes are meant to be left out overnight un-refrigerated...this is what give the shell on the outside and prevents the cake from "melting"). This means that you would have to fill and ganache the night before you cover with fondant and leave it out to set.

Soooo, I think that you should NOT use a cream cheese frosting to avoid refrigerating the cake altogether. Once you take the cake out of the fridge and it's warm out...the cake will start to melt...QUICKLY!!! icon_redface.gif Your fondant will be sticky, will start to pool at the bottom, and because it's outside...everything will stick to it...trust me, it won't be pretty! icon_cry.gif

refrigerated cakes and warm weather do not mix well!
HTH thumbs_up.gif

sweettreat101 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 5

The recipe above for cream cheese frosting does not require refrigeration. Earlene's recipe also doesn't require refrigeration.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%