Need Help On A Plain Cake Request

Decorating By mandylhyatt Updated 12 Sep 2011 , 5:54pm by Chasey

mandylhyatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandylhyatt Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 2:23am
post #1 of 6

I have a cake that I will be making for a birthday party that was supposed to happen....their daughter died at 9 months old and for her first birthday they want to have that party. My problem: She wants Vanilla and Chocolate cake...she said "its all about the look on the outside not the taste, and it will be mostly kids eating it" I have never made a bland cake .I dont want people to say " WOW that cake looked AWESOME but the taste of it wasn't" Maybe make a really yummy Vanilla and Chocolate cake with some kind of filling but then again...I dont know of any!!So what do I do??? Please help me!!! icon_cry.gif

5 replies
caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 2:38am
post #2 of 6

I think just make your regular chocolate and vanilla cake recipes that your customers know and love. Maybe alternate vanilla and chocolate fillings to help tie all of flavours together. Obviously your client would like the look of the cake to be show stopping but that doesn't mean you should go out of your way to bake a cake that isn't as delicious as you would normally make (flavour wise). A very delicate subject and I wish you all the best! I hope this was helpful!

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 2:39am
post #3 of 6

Why not just make a marble cake then? There was just a cake that was made to look like zebra print, the cake, not the decoration. I could never give a cake that I did not think tasted yummy. As for fillings, most anything would go with vanilla and chocolate. One of my most recent fillings that got rave reviews by kids was a peanut butter filling that I found on here. The adults loved it too. I have a friend who lost their baby at four months so I can understnad them wanting to have the party. Create something yummy and beautiful (within budget) for their special angel and feel proud they asked you to make the cake for such a special event. Good luck!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 6

Since it's mostly kids eating the cake, how about a buttercream with oreos type of filling? Most kids aren't wild about anything fruity and I would be worried about someone having an allergy to yummy peanut butter.

There's nothing wrong with plain buttercream in between the layers of your yummy vanilla and chocolate cake!

mandylhyatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandylhyatt Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you guys so much for your advice and great ideas! I think I will try to find a good recipe for vanilla and chocolate cake mix(make a swirl) with maybe a butter cream or maybe even a cream cheese frosting (just to give it some flavor) icon_biggrin.gif Do you guys think the chocolate will taste good with cream cheese frosting?

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 6

I LOVE chocolate cream cheese icing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%