A Long Drive For Delivery, Need Your Advice...

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 9 Sep 2011 , 5:44pm by LeanneW

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 2:00am
post #1 of 6

This week I have a 3+ hour drive for a delivery.... The cake is to be 3 tiers, 6", 10", & a 12". The bottom tier (12") is a styro dummy. For argument sake the cake will be similar in layout as this one:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1756723

With an extra character on sitting on the bottom tier.

I want to be as safe as i possibly can. I have plenty of time to set up as needed. But I was hoping to have the cake mostly finished when I arrive. What do you feel would be safer:

1) Travel with all 3 tiers separated, then stack once there.

Or

2) Do you think I could stack the 10" on the 12, then once there add the 6 & characters?

3) I assume you would not risk stacking all 3 with a stake running through.

Much thanks!!

5 replies
terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 2:30am
post #2 of 6

3 hours is a long time to keep worrying about a stacked slipping or moving, for me even a short 1/2 trip would be long. I would travel all separate and stack and add characters on site. It is only 3 layer and shouldn't take long to finish there.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 6

If you plan on delivering the cake fully stacked make sure you use a center dowel and a good support system. I use either the Stress free cake support or the SPS system. Since it's actually only two tiers on a styro foam base I wouldn't stress as much as an actual three tier. It's the bottom tier that I always worry about.

CiNoRi Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 6

i was going to just use the bubble tree straws and wooden dowels staked through. i was hoping to have the bottom 2 in place then add the top when i get there... but if its better to go all separated then stack... its not the end of the world (i would just want to make the balls for the edges on the fly). i just didn't want to be there for long since i have a long drive back.

CiNoRi Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 6

i was going to just use the bubble tree straws and wooden dowels staked through. i was hoping to have the bottom 2 in place then add the top when i get there... but if its better to go all separated then stack... its not the end of the world (i would just want to make the balls for the edges on the fly). i just didn't want to be there for long since i have a long drive back.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 6

I have driven over 6 hours with cakes on multiple occasions. I always stack my cakes and deliver every cake fully assembled. For me it is more stressful assembling a cake while everyone watches.

I use bubble tea straws and a wooden center dowel, i sharpen my dowel and hammer in right into the cake drum.

Before I load the cake I get the AC blasting in the car and make sure the cake is very well chilled, at least several hours in the fridge.

I box the cake in a clean moving type box (from Target) with a piece on non slip liner between the cake and the box and another non slip liner under the box. It goes flat in the back of my hatchback.

I have tinted windows but if its a sunny hot day I will cover the box with a light colored towel.

I keep the AC blasted the whole time and wear a sweater.

I would travel with any flowers or figures in a separate box and place them on when you arrive.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%