Scared To Death . . But Jumping Anyway!

Business By KuyaRomeo Updated 7 Sep 2011 , 2:30am by all4cake

KuyaRomeo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KuyaRomeo Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 1:53am
post #1 of 4

Here we go . . . .

As it stands, we may be opening our doors in October. Originally we wanted to get a home food processor exemption (in NY) so that we could just use our home kitchen to bake for wholesale. Unfortunately this came with too much red tape and problems.

1. We can't even make a birthday cake for a friend, no fruit tarts, no fruit fillings.
2. We were told NO to our Rum cake which is our "most wanted' item. That was the 'icing on the cake' No rum cake? no deal!

Searched around, found a shared commercial kitchen that is willing to work with us for a decent rate . . AND they are willing to put our products in their shop too! To help us raise money to pay the rent. . so that makes a bit 'safer'.

Also called the Health Department and they said that Rum cake was not a problem. And as a retail bakery, I won't have to print labels even!

Still need to do ALOT of work . . never took the time to price out each ingredient per serving, and cost of cakes, cupcakes, cookies . . so have to do that. Have to figure out what all of our prices will be.

Most important, we will have to take a hard look at all of our possible bakery items and narrow it down to a select group. I feel that perfection of a smaller group of items will BEAT a larger group of 'so so ' products.

Insurance, baking, pans . . . rent . . . gosh . . here we go!!!

Sweet Dreams!

3 replies
KuyaRomeo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KuyaRomeo Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 1:56am
post #2 of 4

BTW . . . regarding Insurance . . .

We were quoted $425/year for 2 million dollar policy, working from a home kitchen. I put in a request to get a new quote . . . for using the rented commercial kitchen. Will probably hear back from them in a day or two . . but I am very nervous. What should I expect?

Now that we may be liable for all of the commercial equipment and what not, is our insurance gonna sky rocket?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 2:15am
post #3 of 4

Ask about equipment coverage at the commercial kitchen. I have $20,000 coverage for only $25 per year extra added to my product liability policy. This will cover you if you have some of your own equipment in their shop.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 2:30am
post #4 of 4

All the best to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%