Just Thought I'ld Throw This Out There...

Decorating By QTCakes1 Updated 13 Sep 2011 , 10:54pm by imagenthatnj

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 12:38am
post #31 of 51

Let's keep this thread going or should we start a new one with holiday baking 2011? I can hardly wait to start my baking!!!!
evelyn

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 12:43am
post #32 of 51

If everyone else doesn't mind, I'ld like to keep this one going, well, just cause I all ready typed in a recipe. I'm lazy, but if we do start another thread I can type it up again...if I ahve too. icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 12:51am
post #33 of 51

No need to retype if you want to use the recipes on a new thread--just cut and paste. And yes, if a new thread is started, you should absolutely paste those recipes into it. Delish!

QTCakes1 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 1:50am
post #34 of 51

Cut and paste! Yup, you would definitely have to tell me, cause I pretty much just know how to get on the internet when it comes to computers.

So I got a PM for the marshmallow recipe, so here it is.

MARSHMALLOWS
3 pkgs. unflavored gelatin
1 cup ice cold water, divided
12 ozs. sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract (I used vanilla bean paste)
1/4 cup powcered sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
nonstick spray

Just a warning, when you are first making this, I personally think it smells bad. Once the vanilla extract is added and it mellows, it smells great!

Place gelatin into bowl of stand mixer along with 1/2 cup of ice water. Have wisk attachment standing by.
In small saucepan combine remaining remaining 1/2 cup water, granulated sugar, corn syrup and salt. Place over medium high heat, cover and cook 3-4 minutes. Uncover, clip candy therometer onto side of pam, continue to cook until mixture reaches 240 degrees, approx. 7-8 minutes.
Once mixture reaches 240 degrees, immediately remove from heat.
Turn mixer on low speed & while runnning, slowly pour syrup down side of bowl inot gelatin.
Once you have added all the syrup, increase speed to high.
Continue to mix until thick and is lukewarm, approx. 12-15 mins. Add vanilla the last minute of whipping. While the mixture is whipping prepare pan.
Combine powdered sugar and corn starch in a small bowl. Lightly spray 9x13" metal baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Coat w/ ps/cornstarch mix. Return extra back to bowl and save.
When ready pour marshmallow mixture into pan, using a lightly oiled spatula to spread around evenly. Dust the top with ps/cornstarch mix. Save what is left in bowl. Allow marshmallows to dry, uncovered for at least 4 hrs. & up to over night.
Turn marshmallow out onto cutting board & cut into 1" squares with a pizza cutter. Once cut, dust all sides of each marshmallow with remaining ps/cornstarch mix, using additonal if necessary. Store in an airtight container up to 3 weeks.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 2:17am
post #35 of 51

You guys are FUNNY! Last year was my first year to make my own chocolate bark and candy to give away. I went thru about 40 lbs. of Guittard A'Peels and made:

"Andes" style bark--dark chocolate on the bottom, topped with Wilton green candy melts flavored with creme de menthe.

Almond Bark, Rocky Road Bark (just added baby marshmallows to the almond bark, Pecan/Toffee bark using CK Products CANDY CRUNCH-TOFFEE and Christmas peppermint bark using CK Products CANDY CRUNCH-PEPPERMENT RED/GREEN. The CK products are FABULOUS! They stay crunchy, they don't bleed color, they don't get sticky. Fabulous.

Also made Nutella filled "truffles" using truffle candy molds and just slapping in some Nutella and then covering the bottom. You can also add in crushed pecans or other stuff. Me--I just like pure-dee Nutella! Ahhh....Heaven in a jar.

This year I've also made chocolate covered Oreos as gifts and will do that for Christmas. I use the Spinning Leaf . com molds. They are very strong, and deep enough for a double-stuffed Oreo. For Christmas I'm ordering more of the #CK-215 Standard Cookie Mold, and will then drizzle Christmas colors/glitter over the top, or make smaller chocolate decorations and just adhere with a dab of chocolate to the top of the chocolate covered cookie (much quicker).

Here's a link to my shutterfly site where you can see the chocolates and Spinning Leaf oreos. I didn't take any photos of the bark.
http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/216

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 2:46am
post #36 of 51

QTcakes thank you so much for the marshmallow recipe....I also saw your idea for the caramel dipped marshmallows...YUMMMM!!! I love getting those at Sees Candies their called scotch Kisses..but I never thought of making them but I will this year icon_wink.gif now to find the perfect caramel recipe...I love the Holidays, Yayyy

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 2:46am
post #37 of 51

QTcakes thank you so much for the marshmallow recipe....I also saw your idea for the caramel dipped marshmallows...YUMMMM!!! I love getting those at Sees Candies their called scotch Kisses..but I never thought of making them but I will this year icon_wink.gif now to find the perfect caramel recipe...I love the Holidays, Yayyy

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 2:46am
post #38 of 51

I think it was last week I realized I'd have to start giving thoughts to my holiday baking ... hoping to try a few new things I've had to keep postponing. Of course if I keep reading all these threads and wonderful recipes I'll never finish trying out recipes. Not that it's a bad thing, of course. *wink*

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 2:54am
post #39 of 51

I'm not ready for Christmas goodies yet, but fall sounds so good right now! I'm craving pumpkin cheesecake and grape pie (an upstate NY specialty)!

QTCakes1 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 8:23pm
post #40 of 51

I MISS SEES'S!!!!!!! My friend sends me a box once a year and the kids Chrsitmas and Valentine's candy every year. The had no scothc mallow the last time she sent a box. icon_sad.gif

And with 1900 views I am thinking there has to be a lot of great ideas out there... icon_wink.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 10:24pm
post #41 of 51

See's is the BEST! I'm going to try and duplicate their raspberry chocolate truffle. Wish me luck!

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 7:09pm
post #42 of 51

QTCakes1- Sorry I didn't get any kind of notifications otherwise I would have sent this to you! This is one of the easiest fruitcake and you can sub any of the fruits for whatever you have on hand.

Fruit cake( I got this off the BBC website but they don't have it up anymore)

100g/4oz. crystallised pineapple
100g/4oz glace cherries
175g/6oz candied peel
200g/8oz sultanas
4 TBSP brandy or orange juice
175g/6oz mixed shelled nuts such as brazils, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans
200g/8oz softened butter
200g/8oz golden caster sugar (light brown sugar)
4 eggs, beaten
grated zest and juice of 1 orange
200g/8oz plain flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
100g/4oz ground almond

Butter an 8inch pan or I use non-stick spray.
Chop up all of the fruits and pour the brandy over it and chop the nuts but keep them separate.
In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat along with the zest and juice. Sift the flour and cinnamon and fold into the mixture. Add the fruits, brandy, chopped nuts and lastly the ground almonds pour into pan and back at 275 for an 1 1/2 - 2 hours...just use your judgment. If you don't want a 'boozy" fruitcake you can make a simple syrup and use that instead of feeding the fruitcake with brandy.

For the tropical version I will use dried pineapple instead of the crystallised, sub the dried mangoes for candied peel, sub sweetened shredded coconut for the ginger and use Malibu rum instead of the brandy.
I also use golden raisins instead of the sultanas or if I can find currants. Pecans are also a good choice for this cake or almonds. If I have them on hand I will also use some dried bananas. Use your imagination and have fun with it

If you don't like traditional fruitcake then you can always use regular dried fruit such as blueberries, cherries, raspberries, pears, apples or whatever dried fruit you like.

If you want to eat the fruitcake sooner, use the simple syrup and brush the cake with it while it is hot. Let it cool down and poke holes in it and brush it again. Wrap and enjoy.

QTCakes1 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 12:39am
post #43 of 51

Thanks! I'm going to try that and probably give as gifts as well.

JackieDryden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackieDryden Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:16am
post #44 of 51

I've been thinking about Christmas and the hollidays and my co-workers think I'm nuts. I'm glad I'm not the only one. People like the pumkin roll(I could probably eat a whole one!) But I already have requests in for cinnamon rolls so they can serve their guests breakfast during the holidays!

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 4:45am
post #45 of 51

Have you ever made cinnamon rolls or sticky buns out of brioche dough? I would only makes these once a year for my mom because they had so much butter but I swear they are one of the best things I have ever tasted. You put a whole stick of butter on the bottom of the pan, add brown sugar and pecans and then lay the rolled dough on top and bake.

The recipe is from Julia Child and like her I want to be buried with a stick of butter!

JackieDryden Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 1:13pm
post #46 of 51

No, but I think I might have to try that. I have one friend that has me make muffins for her and her kids with a crumb topping, but she doesn't want the cinamon rolls because they are a "temptation" I think when it comes down to it-if I didn't put the icing on them (maybe just a glaze) they would be healthier than my muffins! Lots of butter in and on the muffins!

QTCakes1 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:24pm
post #47 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyellam

Have you ever made cinnamon rolls or sticky buns out of brioche dough? I would only makes these once a year for my mom because they had so much butter but I swear they are one of the best things I have ever tasted. You put a whole stick of butter on the bottom of the pan, add brown sugar and pecans and then lay the rolled dough on top and bake.

The recipe is from Julia Child and like her I want to be buried with a stick of butter!

It's the only way I'll make them! I think brioche dough is the greatest invention! I love all three versions of Peter Reinhart's recipe. Will be making them for breakfast, but not as gifts. icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:51pm
post #48 of 51

Ah, poor man's brioche, middle man's brioche and rich man's brioche? I love Peter Reinhart's book. I got it because brioche is my favorite thing in the whole world. QTCakes1, I haven't made the poor man's brioche. Is it OK?

Speaking of cinnamon rolls, my favorite cookie is the rugelach (I'm not Jewish) and I make them frequently, but they're a little bit of a pain if you make them the "rolled triangle" way. But, when Deb from smittenkitchen went to visit Reed from PioneerWoman, they made a version of a combined rugelach with cinnamon rolls. Just what I needed, giant rugelach? At least it might take less time to make them.

http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/05/ranch-rugelach/

QTCakes1 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:15am
post #49 of 51

I like it for regular dinner rolls. Nothing fancy. The rich man's dough I like for desserts or cinnamon rolls or sticky buns or by itself. I like the middle man's for sweet breads like King' cake.

JackieDryden Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 10:40pm
post #50 of 51

Where do I find the recipes for the brioche?

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 10:54pm
post #51 of 51

Middle-class brioche is here:

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/recipes/brioche

I have the book. One of the best out there:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1580082688/?tag=cakecentral-20

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%