Food Festival - How Much Should I Make?

Business By pmaxxie Updated 8 Sep 2011 , 1:23pm by pmaxxie

pmaxxie Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 14

Hi,

This is my first time posting.

I am trying to get a Cheesecake business off the ground. I have an opportunity to have a booth (free) at a festival that has a variety of food vendors. They range from pizza to chicken to burger and usually ice cream.

It is held on the church grounds and it draws anywhere from 4 - 6,000 people, depending on the weather.

My question is: we have to have samples - how many should I make?

And I was going to offer slices (smaller than I would normally offer) and sell them for around $1.50 each - I will still make money.

Trying to get the word out, rather than make a killing right now.

How many slices should I make?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Pat

13 replies
MimiFix Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 14

Is providing samples part of your agreement to have a booth? The samples should be very small, one bite is enough, just so people can have a taste of your awesome cheesecake. And you don't have to give everyone a sample; a couple hundred should be more than enough.

QTCakes1 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 12:46am
post #3 of 14

There is a HUGE difference between attendence of 4 to 6,000. You have next to no one and then a serioulsy huge crowd, so coming up with quantities would be next to impossible for me. Is there any way to get a better number count?

pmaxxie Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 12:48am
post #4 of 14

Yes, you are supposed to have samples available.

Do you think a couple hundred would be good for 4 - 6,000 people?

How many do you think I should do for slices?

Thanks

pmaxxie Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 12:51am
post #5 of 14

I'm sorry - I meant there would be between 4,000 - 6,000 people.

What do you think I should do?

QTCakes1 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 1:12am
post #6 of 14

Okay, so from what I can tell just about EVERYONE loves cheesecake. For this who will say otherwise I didn't say everyone, but just about everyone. So with at least 4K, which makes a lot more sense, thank you for clearing that up, I would do about 1K. Of course I would ask a little bit about how well food sells and how well dessert goes over. Keep in mind cheesecake has to be kept cool. Now that is a lot of cheesecake and more then I can handle. So good luck to you. And I am so with Mimifixx with the bite size samples. Just a few hundred of those.

scp1127 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 2:21am
post #7 of 14

I would make the cheesecakes in cupcake liners. They can just eat them out of the liner. Plus, you can sell them closer to what a cupcake is worth. The samples can be in mini cupcake liners... still mobile. A slice will require a plate, plastic wrap, and a fork... plus the labor. And for $1.50, I couldn't make that work financially. But I could with $3.00 cupcake.

AliBakes6167 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 3:04am
post #8 of 14

I personally think making 1000 slices of cheesecake would be way too much, in my opinion. That's say 1 out of every 4 people buying a slice of cheesecake.........not very realistic unfortunately. It is really hard to work out, but it is always better to sell out, then to be left with 50 left over cheesecakes & no where to put them.

I would suggest making around 15-20 pies. Any thoughts??

Let us know how you go! icon_razz.gif

AliBakes6167 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 3:07am
post #9 of 14

*cheesecakes, sorry!

scp1127 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 3:13am
post #10 of 14

I agree with ali. 25% purchasing would be a lot. I would bake what I wanted to sell based on how much I realisticaly wanted to make after expenses. Up the price and lower the amount to make.

MimiFix Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 10:50am
post #11 of 14

pmaxxie - Susan (scp1127) has a great idea. Make cheesecake cupcakes. Then you don't have to deal with slicing and handling messy cheesecake. Have you seen these before?
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mini-cheesecakes-2/detail.aspx

In my shop I sold cheesecake slices until I learned about little cheesecakes made in cupcake liners. What a difference! Not only did they sell better, but it made the entire production easier, far less mess. And we used 1 tablespoon ground cookie crumbs per cup for the crust, but a vanilla wafer works great if you don't have excess cookies you want to get rid of. Foil cups hold up best, but paper liners work okay - they just get a little soggy but still manageable.

fsinger84 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 11:16pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

pmaxxie - Susan (scp1127) has a great idea. Make cheesecake cupcakes. Then you don't have to deal with slicing and handling messy cheesecake. Have you seen these before?
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mini-cheesecakes-2/detail.aspx

In my shop I sold cheesecake slices until I learned about little cheesecakes made in cupcake liners. What a difference! Not only did they sell better, but it made the entire production easier, far less mess. And we used 1 tablespoon ground cookie crumbs per cup for the crust, but a vanilla wafer works great if you don't have excess cookies you want to get rid of. Foil cups hold up best, but paper liners work okay - they just get a little soggy but still manageable.

When you make the mini cheesecakes do you leave the paper liner in the foil cups or just put everything directly into the foil cups?

MimiFix Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 2:40am
post #13 of 14

To make small individual cheesecakes, use either paper cups or foil cups; you don't need both.

pmaxxie Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 1:23pm
post #14 of 14

Wow, you are all great!

Thanks so much for your thoughts and input. I really appreciate it!

I was thinking 15 - 20 cheesecakes and getting as many slices as I could out of it.

But I really like the cupcake holder idea - cuts way down on the supply cost. And I can probably get a lot more out of a cheesecake batter that way.

I am going to experiment with the cupcake holders and will let you know how that goes.

The festival is October 1 - will let you know how it goes and if I ran out.

Thanks again and if you think of anything else please let me know.

Happy Baking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%