Birch Bark Cake Design

Decorating By YellowDogCakes Updated 12 Sep 2011 , 3:12pm by YellowDogCakes

YellowDogCakes Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 5

Hi! I have a bride that has requested a birch bark decorated cake for her wedding. The picture she sent me for inspiration is attached to the post. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

4 replies
JanH Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 5:31am
post #2 of 5

The "add attachment to post" software isn't working...

You can either add a link or post an attachment using these directions:

Originally Posted by Coral3

The attachment function on CC doesn't work.

If you want a photo to show up in your post, here's how:

First upload the photo into an online photo site like Photobucket (getting a photobucket account is easy and FREE) then just copy the photo's image code (IMG Code) from photobucket and paste it into your post (on a line by itself, so it doesn't have any other text or punctuation against it). Then when you hit 'submit comment' the photo will display in the thread. Easy.

Photobucket is here:

I'm pretty sure you can also use Flickr like this too - just look for the image code (IMG code) and copy and paste it.

sweettreat101 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 6:55am
post #3 of 5

My cousin wanted her bottom tier of her wedding cake to look like a log so what I did was had my brother cut me two pieces of bark and I made a silicone mold to use with my fondant. I washed the bark and let it dry. Then I painted the bark with a non toxic paint to seal in any loose wood particles. I applied a layer of Sealed it and used Amazing Mold putty that I purchased at Michael's Crafts. If you type in printable Michael's coupons you can get a 40% off coupon. I used two different pieces of bark to make two molds so that the pattern varied a little. I then marbled the chocolate fondant a little to look like the burl in real wood. I used Fondarific chocolate fondant and it worked great. Hope this helps.

sweettreat101 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 7:11am
post #4 of 5

I had a really hard time making this cake as I am more traditional. I kept calling it the ugly wedding cake. I had to tell myself that it was her wedding not mine.

YellowDogCakes Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much for the helpful tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%