Real Ribbon Vs. Fondant Ribbon For Wedding Cake

Decorating By KMianecki Updated 7 Sep 2011 , 8:31am by bakescupcakes

KMianecki Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 16

Hi all!

I am making my FIRST wedding cake for this saturday. It is an all white 4 tier cake. I promised the bride brown ribbons around the bottom of each tier. I initially was going to do the ribbon in fondant but upon further research I realized that some cake designers use fabric ribbon. Now I'm not sure what I should do! A fabric ribbon would look a lot prettier and there would not be a seem in the back of each layer (as I can never roll it out long enough to make it all the way around the cake). What do you all use??

15 replies
mariacakestoo Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 16

Multiply the size of the tier you are wanting to wrap any ribbon with (fondant or fabric) by 3.14 for the length you need. I prefer fondant for everything. For exampl, a 10" round tier will require approximately 31.5 inches of ribbon to make it all the way around.

stormrider Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 16

Earlene Moore's cake chart has the circumference measurements to help for ribbons and trims.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

Her servings are much more generous than the Wilton chart which I find better for family parties vs. weddings.

carmijok Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 16

I say make it easy on yourself and use fabric ribbon. Be sure and back it with something so when you adhere it to the cake, it won't spot. I have used press-n-seal or wax paper.

KMianecki Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 16

Thank you all for the suggestions! I think I will go with the fabric ribbon. Can you please tell me how to secure it to the cake?

FromScratchSF Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 16

Making fondant ribbon is really really easy. Really. After watching how to do it a few times on You Tube I can fondant ribbon a 16" cake in less then 10 minutes, which includes stitching detail and dusting. Wilton even makes a ribbon cutting fondant tool that I recommend, it makes stuff even easier. I highly recommend you use only edible items on cake.

Ahem, excuse me while I pull out my soap box icon_biggrin.gif

Ribbon is not a food product. It's made with all kinds of yummy stuff like formaldehyde, petrol, lead, NON-food safe dyes, etc. It's made in factories that are not kept food-safe and handled by people that are not treating it as an item to be consumed or put on a food item. That means sweat shops in 3rd world countries full of bugs, rats, people sneezing on it and picking their noses. It's not packaged in food-sanitary conditions, it's not shipped in food-safe containers, and is exposed to chemicals that you do not want to put in your body.

OK, off my soapbox!

Good luck!
Jen

mariacakestoo Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 16

Basically. But hey, it's easier to use ribbon, right? That's all that counts. icon_wink.gif

KMianecki Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 16

Jen,

Yikes, never though about it that way. I can at least give it a shot. Can you give me some tips for how to roll it out long enough for a 16" cake? I always wind up doing it in halves and then joining them together and covering the connected areas with some kind of flower. I'd like to be able to do it all in one shot. Thanks!!

FromScratchSF Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMianecki

Jen,

Yikes, never though about it that way. I can at least give it a shot. Can you give me some tips for how to roll it out long enough for a 16" cake? I always wind up doing it in halves and then joining them together and covering the connected areas with some kind of flower. I'd like to be able to do it all in one shot. Thanks!!

I don't mean to be all finger-wagging, but eeeewwww. icon_biggrin.gif

Do you have a long enough counter to roll one piece? Make sure all your tools are out so you can work fast. Roll your fondant, cut it, add detail, add dust, then roll it up like a tape measure. Wet your cake where you are going to attach it, then roll the ribbon straight out on the cake. You use the cake board to support the weight of the "ribbon" and to keep it straight. It won't stretch or bend, it also won't dry very fast out because it's rolled up. You can take your time attaching it. If you want to hide your seam you can cut your ribbon ends on a diagonal (each end is cut // so they fit together), I just saw this technique done on a RBI cake and can't believe I never thought of it or saw it before.

Hope that makes sense.

carmijok Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 7:41pm
post #10 of 16

To attach the ribbon, put dots of buttercream or royal icing at the base of the cake and then wrap the ribbon around it.

carmijok Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 7:41pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Making fondant ribbon is really really easy. Really. After watching how to do it a few times on You Tube I can fondant ribbon a 16" cake in less then 10 minutes, which includes stitching detail and dusting. Wilton even makes a ribbon cutting fondant tool that I recommend, it makes stuff even easier. I highly recommend you use only edible items on cake.

Ahem, excuse me while I pull out my soap box icon_biggrin.gif

Ribbon is not a food product. It's made with all kinds of yummy stuff like formaldehyde, petrol, lead, NON-food safe dyes, etc. It's made in factories that are not kept food-safe and handled by people that are not treating it as an item to be consumed or put on a food item. That means sweat shops in 3rd world countries full of bugs, rats, people sneezing on it and picking their noses. It's not packaged in food-sanitary conditions, it's not shipped in food-safe containers, and is exposed to chemicals that you do not want to put in your body.

OK, off my soapbox!

Good luck!
Jen

If you back your ribbon...which most people do, it's not touching the cake. And if you're that concerned, you might want to reconsider exactly what 'food-safe' means...particularly when you consider the ratio of insect parts that are allowed by the FDA to be in food--particularly chocolate!

And now MY soapbox:

While all of us take great strides to make them as safe as can be...NO cake can be completely sterile...are your hands gloved the entire time when you apply fondant? If not, even when washed, you might touch your hair or face --or the table at some point...and if they are gloved, what about people with latex allergies? Do you wear a mask? What if you accidentally breathe on the cake when you're working up close? when you deliver is it in a closed box or open in the back end of an SUV? What about the person cutting the cake? Are they touching it with their hands? What if they are from a third-world country and don't believe in hand washing?

The point I'm trying to make is that in the great scheme of things, wrapping a fabric ribbon around the base of a cake is not a big deal.

For the short time a ribbon is on a cake, I doubt seriously if any sweat shop nasties will infect it--particularly if they have a backing! Besides...you actually CAN wash ribbons!
That is unless you're scared of soap.
thumbs_up.gif

FromScratchSF Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 8:39pm
post #12 of 16

OK, two respected sides of the argument. Accidentally touching your face is NOT even close to the same thing as using pretty ribbon dumped in formaldehyde, but whatever. The two philosophies are opposite sides of the spectrum and well expressed.

I don't know "most people" and want to refrain from making sweeping assumptions on what they do, but I have never seen someone line fabric ribbon with wax paper to put on a FONDANT cake. Buttercream yes. Fondant, no. But something to think about - do you think it would take you less time and be easier to take fabric ribbon, iron wax paper to it and attach it to a cake with pins or double-sided tape, or just colored some fondant, cut it out and attached it with some water? I personally think fondant is faster, easier and BONUS, is FDA approved and or non-toxic, but to each their own.

mariacakestoo Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 8:43pm
post #13 of 16

Looks nicer too.

KMianecki Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 11:04pm
post #14 of 16

Thank you all so much for the great feedback! I like the idea of cutting diagonal ends and fitting them together. I NEVER would have thought of that.

FromScratchSF Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 12:22am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMianecki

Thank you all so much for the great feedback! I like the idea of cutting diagonal ends and fitting them together. I NEVER would have thought of that.

I know, right??? That RBI is a GENIUS I tell you. GENIUS.

bakescupcakes Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 8:31am
post #16 of 16

Satin ribbon is MUCH more elegant on a wedding cake than fondant! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%