I Need Helping Figuring Out This Cake!

Decorating By stephicra Updated 21 Sep 2011 , 4:45pm by stephicra

stephicra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephicra Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 10

Hi guys. I'm a new cake decorator so I need some help figuring out how to do this cake for my cousin's wedding. She's doing cupcakes so she needs a small cake just for cutting. She really likes this picture, so I told her I'd try it out as it seems simple enough. I'm sure I could figure it out, but I thought I'd ask how you guys would go about it! She just wants the two middle tiers, if that helps. Thanks so much!

9 replies
CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 10

I think it's ribbons of fondant that are various shades of pink cut into strips and layered down the sides of the cake.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutieMcCakes

I think it's ribbons of fondant that are various shades of pink cut into strips and layered down the sides of the cake.

thumbs_up.gif

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 10

Yup. Start from the bottom and work up. Finish with a top circle of fondant cut big enough to give the right amount of overlap. Cute.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 10

Ditto. I've done that cake several times in different colors. Not difficult at all.

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 12:15am
post #6 of 10

Yes, the fondant strips of layering isn't the hard part- I think it would be getting the fondant so many different shades of one color that would give me problems!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 12:31am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeQT82

Yes, the fondant strips of layering isn't the hard part- I think it would be getting the fondant so many different shades of one color that would give me problems!

You could do it by getting a large amount of fondant and coloring it the palest color first, then split it and add a little more color to the ball, then divide again and add even more color and so on until you get groups of fondant going from lightest to darkest of the same shade. How many shade gradations would be up to you.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 2:42pm
post #8 of 10

I would do it the other way around. You could make up the darkest color, then keep mixing the base color with white fondant -- that way you are sure that the basic color remains the same.

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddroth

I would do it the other way around. You could make up the darkest color, then keep mixing the base color with white fondant

I agree, if I'm doing different shades of a colour I usually colour it the lightest first and keep adding colour to do the part at the next shade, but on this if you start with the lightest you either have to work from the top or make sure you have enough fondant each time to roll it out around the cake. I dont know about you but I would either end up with not enough to do it nicely, although I guess you could fix that by adding white and recolouring. Or you could end up with a lot of unused fondant from the bits you have coloured. I would colour the whole batch the darkest shade then keep adding a little more white to bits of it as you go up the cake.

stephicra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephicra Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate all your tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%