How To Arrange Flowers On Cakes?

Decorating By jennifercullen Updated 6 Sep 2011 , 4:00pm by Apti

jennifercullen Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 7:54am
post #1 of 5

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but I don't know how to arrange them so they look nice and not just kind of plonked on the cake. I don't even know if people in the US know that word lol I just mean looking like they have been just put any old place not arranged to look nice.

The cake I am making is for my mums first anniversary on 14th September, so I wanted to recreate parts of her wedding outfit. She had a blue dress and 2 different shades of pink roses for her bouquet. Is there a technique to arranging them or is it just a case of doing it and seeing what looks right? [/u]

4 replies
Apti Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 8:20am
post #2 of 5

Hey, we speak English too! I use "plonked" all the time. (hee hee hee) Like you, that is my biggest concern for a huge cake coming up on Sept 17. I'm making my first gum paste flowers, not worried; making my largest cakes, not worried; doing 4 different flavors or cake and icing, not worried. Arranging the flowers ON the cake? WORRIED!

What I've done to lessen my worry is to bookmark a LOT of similar cakes. When it comes time to place the flowers, I'll just copy the arrangements as closely as possible.

jennifercullen Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 9:28am
post #3 of 5

Lol sorry, not only am I English, I'm northern too, so from what I gather some of the words I use aren't even used in other parts of England! Hope I don't offend anyone! I think you're very brave anyway, all of that would terrify me! I will try looking at other pictures! Can't believe I didn't think of it myself...

catsmum Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 5

I've just completed my first wedding cake and went through the same "angst". I bought cake dummies of the same size and positioned my sprays on the cake as a trial run. once i got to the venue I was comfortable with doing the real thing.

Apti Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 5

catsmum--GREAT idea!!!! I have some cake dummies that I thought I'd never use!

jennifercullen--Catsmum did this, WE can do this.

I live in California and use mid-west farming terms that make people out here go, "Huh?". I like words like slurp, gidgee (tickle), hoopie (a new car or big "thing"), plonk, cumsha (welfare or free food distributed by the government of church groups). They keep our language rich and fun. Years ago I was backpacking in Wales and at breakfast in a Welsh hostel, there were people from all over the world around the table. The only person we couldn't understand was a young man from Newscastle on Tyne.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%