I'm Getting Some Anxiety About This!!! Vent

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 15 Sep 2011 , 4:07am by step0nmi

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 3:02am
post #31 of 39

You should of had a contract ready to give to her and sign before you did anything. If you have it in writing...you wouldn't need to worry about such things.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 12:32pm
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

You should of had a contract ready to give to her and sign before you did anything. If you have it in writing...you wouldn't need to worry about such things.

was kinda hard to do when we were 30 mins away from each other. i didn't know what i was going to do either since i've never had anyone ask for a wedding cake this late.

I have confidence that i will get paid after talking with the girl yesterday. Again, i have a big heart and couldn't think of anyone not having a wedding cake! icon_lol.gif but, i am sticking to my guns and if she doesn't pay me, no cake....and i've made it very clear to her in person, on the phone, and in writing. she's not dumb...just a little clueless, she was asking me some pretty silly things about the cake in general icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

thanks for all of your guys advice! This is like only my 5th wedding cake and a situation like this....on top of that i'm doing this on the side compared to my work right now that is really hectic.

on another note...all of you guys that talked about seeing me around for so long, very cool to be recognized thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif thanks a lot...i'm glad to see you all around too. I value your opinions and thoughts and have been keeping them up in the noggin icon_wink.gif

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 8:53pm
post #33 of 39

I require final payment 30 days before the wedding. If the wedding booked less than 30 days I require payment is full to book the cake and payment will be cash at that point. You may want to consider doing something similar.

Also, this whole pay after I see it is crap. No way the florist is doing that, or the DJ, or the band, or the linen people... That is not how business works. If she has seen your work (pictures) and tasted your cake (but I don't think a tasting is required or an excuse to not pay before hand) then she should have confidence in your work. If she doesn't than she shouldn't have booked you.

There have been to many horror stories on here and other sites about vendors trying to get payment after their service has been provided (and eaten in our case). Why pay at that point? She got her cake and ate it too.

Now, what happens if she doesn't like something? Are you prepared to take less than agreed, offering a discount right then just to get some money out of her? What if you think the complaint is not justified - that she is using it as a way to not pay the remaining balance. Be prepared to walk out of there with your cake if you don't get pain in full right away or if she makes unjustified complaints. If leaving the cake, DO NOT LEAVE WITHOUT FULL PAYMENT.

I hope it works out for you, just protect your business.

step0nmi Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 8:45pm
post #34 of 39

oh my...been an extremely busy week! forgot to let you guys know that the bride is paid in full and will be receiving her cake icon_biggrin.gif thanks to you all for your advice. don't know if i'll ever do a last min order again :p

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 9:23pm
post #35 of 39

So glad she was able to get all the money to you. Next time have your contract ready for them to sign and don't play tag with them. If I have someone ask for an order and it is 30 days or less it has to be paid in full.
Take care and good luck with your cake.
evelyn

step0nmi Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 10:23pm
post #36 of 39

oh my...been an extremely busy week! forgot to let you guys know that the bride is paid in full and will be receiving her cake icon_biggrin.gif thanks to you all for your advice. don't know if i'll ever do a last min order again :p

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 11:06pm
post #37 of 39

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Glad you got the extra job, and $$$$ in the bank! Too bad we lost sleep worrying about you.... icon_biggrin.gif

Everyone here to help, best we can. Lesson to all--- signed contract and cash up front, BEFORE we let our "feel good" emotion dictate our business sense.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 11:07pm
post #38 of 39

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Glad you got the extra job, and $$$$ in the bank! Too bad we lost sleep worrying about you.... icon_biggrin.gif

Everyone here to help, best we can. Lesson to all--- signed contract and cash up front, BEFORE we let our "feel good" emotion dictate our business sense.

step0nmi Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 4:07am
post #39 of 39

i really hope no one lost sleep...that would be crazy! icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%