Ganache Ratios

Baking By augurey Updated 5 Sep 2011 , 11:32pm by auzzi

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 5

From what I understand on here, there are different chocolate to whipping cream ratios depending on the chocolate used.

Could anyone provide the different ratios for the different types of chocolate such as dark, semi-sweet, white, milk chocolate, etc?

Also, I'm a little confused where the ratios come in. Like for the semi-sweet, I believe it's 2:1 ratio.

So 16 oz of semi-sweet chocolate, it'd be 8 oz whipping cream; or for 1:1 ratio 8 oz chocolate to 8 oz whipping cream; for 3:1 it would be 24 oz chocolate to 8 oz whipping cream?

I'm not sure if the ratios go as small or large, but I just want to understand exactly what the ratios are so I can alter as needed (or do you have to go specifically 8 oz 16 oz 24 oz etc?).

I've only tried working with ganache a couple of times (they weren't disastrous attempts, but they could have been better), and I think if I had a better understanding of ratios and whatnot, further attempts might go a little better.

4 replies
EnglishCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnglishCakeLady Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 5

The ratios I'm giving you are for ganache as a frosting, which can be used under fondant, or left as the final finish. I've not tried pouring or whipping, so can't advice you on that.

For dark, semi-sweet or milk chocolate the ratio is 2:1. So 16oz chocolate, 8oz whipping cream.

For white chocolate the ratio is 3:1 so 24oz chocolate, 8oz whipping cream.

The fat content of the cream is important at least 35% butterfat content.

You can have any amount of chocolate and cream that you need, as long as the ration remains the same. If you have a small cake to cover you can use 8oz and 4oz or 9oz and 3oz for white chocolate.

Here is a ganache calculator you can download. Just put in the size of cake and it will tell you how much of each ingredient you need:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28726919/Ganache%20calculator.xlsx

Good luck!

nikki4199 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki4199 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 5

The recipe for the one i use is. 1# choc to 2 cups cream. I use is to pour over cakes and i use it to ice cupcakes with after it sets some.

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the info EnglishCakeLady and nikki4199! icon_smile.gif

I'm looking forward to making more ganache. I just think I needed a little bit better understanding of ratios and whatnot! icon_smile.gif

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 5

* For dark chocolate [52% cocoa at least] the ratio is 2 : 1

500g chocolate : 250g cream - weight for weight

* For milk chocolate the ratio is 3 : 1

750g chocolate : 250g cream - weight for weight

* For white chocolate the ratio is usually 3 : 1

750g chocolate : 250g cream - weight for weight

BUT it is not unheard of for the ratio required to be 3.5-4 : 1 for white chocolate

The environment, the ingredients in the chocolate and using weight for weight for accuracy are important factors ..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%