Australian Stringwork On Buttercream Covered Cake

Decorating By sunnyca Updated 6 Sep 2011 , 3:13am by sunnyca

sunnyca Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried doing the australian stringwork technique on a buttercream covered cake? Most of the pictures I have seen seem to be covered in fondant.

Any help with technique and/or pictures would be appreciated.

Thank you

3 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 4

I wouldn't do "real Austalian" on a BC iced cake because you need to pipe the bridges out of royal icing and attach the royal strings directly to the BC.

One issues is the potential movement of the icing--even minor expansion/contraction will have the strings & bridges popping off. Too much time investment for that risk.

You could do pseudo-Australian using a single line buttercream bridge & a larger tip for buttercream strings. It wouldn't be as delicate, but it could look nice if done well.

JMHO
Rae

FromScratchSF Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 12:43am
post #3 of 4

No, you can't. I mean, you can, but it'll fall apart. You need a firm, dry surface to attach your bridgework. Any moisture (from your butter or shortening, whatever) from your buttercream will melt your royal or make it soft. Your buttercream can even sweat and the water will melt it. You also need a dry surface that you can brush your broken strings off of when you start your strings, because for every three you put on you are going to break 2 icon_biggrin.gif This type of decorating also shouldn't be refrigerated.

sunnyca Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 3:13am
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for your replies.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%