Decorating Fresh Sponge Cake? :(

Decorating By sweet_tooth85 Updated 11 Sep 2011 , 10:00pm by Rose_N_Crantz

sweet_tooth85 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 5:45am
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

I have been recently employed as a cake decorator in a local bakery and HAVE to ask this coz it's driving me INSANE.....

How on earth do you neatly and successfully cover a fresh sponge cake with mock cream, WITHOUT a crumb coat????? Is there some great tip?? At home, I never try to decorate a fresh cake without a crumb coat, especially not sponge. But this bakery (probably like many others) pumps out generic birthday cakes everyday and don't have time to set a crumb coat, or freeze the cakes etc.

I felt like such a novice today as I was hacking up the sponge, trying to keep it together under heavy mock cream. The bakery's way of doing things is to apply and smooth the cream onto the cake with a large palate knife, but I was wondering if it would be easier to pipe on, then smooth over?? Thoughts?

5 replies
Dayti Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 6

I definitely think it would be easier and quicker in this case to pipe a thick coat and then smooth it over, if there is not enough time to do a crumb coat.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 6

Yeah, you could pipe it on and then smooth it over. Ask if they have any speed icers. They look like huge basket weave tips. The only down side with those is they actually seem to take a little longer to ice a cake with (ironic name, right?) because you have to stop and refill the bag. Plus it's a lot more strain on your hand.

You could pipe and smooth, but I would try to get the technique down for just icing the cake with a spatula. It'll take some time, but it sounds like they do a lot of cakes and if you just keep at it you'll get the hang of it. You could still do a crumb coat, just don't let it set. Lots of times I can see on a cake if there's going to be some areas that are going to give me grief, so I'll just do a quick smear of frosting in those areas instead of the whole cake. Use lots of frosting, you can always scrape off the excess. Just keep at it. If you feel comfortable, just tell the other decorators that you can ice the sponge cakes for a while because you need the practice of icing without crumb coating. Maybe some others will give you some tips. Good luck and keep at it!

Cupcakeboy85 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 6

789 tip workes best! I never crumbcoat my cakes

sweet_tooth85 Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 12:14am
post #5 of 6

Thanks all icon_smile.gif I also had the idea of piping on the cake first and then smoothing over. It would be easier with such a thick icing like mock cream. However, I think Rose is right - I just have to keep going at it, they way they've asked me to. They've told me all I will be doing for a while is covering vanilla sponge, which SUCKS because they saw me hack a chocolate sponge to bits and must have assumed I needed to go back to basics. Meanwhile, I KNOW what I'm doing in the kitchen LOL. Anyway, here's hoping it gets easier icon_smile.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 6

Mock cream must be an Australian recipe. I've never heard of it. Is it like what most grocery stores in the US use? We call it buttercream, but it's shortening based therefore doesn't contain butter.

The bakery I work at uses a shortening based buttercream, but we use a certain method in making it so that it turns out very soft and light. I love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%