Inception Cake Help

Decorating By Aeolytheis Updated 1 Oct 2011 , 12:26am by Marianna46

Aeolytheis Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 4:02am
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone icon_smile.gif

I'm quite new to cake decorating, but I'm making an inception themed 20th Birthday cake for one of my best friends, so far I have madee the four totems out of gum paste (spinning top, dice, poker chip & bishop).[pictures coming soon]

The problem I'm having is what to cover the cake with and how to arrange the toppers on top as they are four separate pieces.

My options are buttercream with a border, or covering in fondant. I think maybe the fondant option might give a crisper corporate look I want, perhaps in a dark blue colour and stenciling a silver maze on too?

I'd love to hear any thoughts and opinions because I feel a little overwhelmed at my options icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance -

8 replies
Marianna46 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 4:45am
post #2 of 9

Are you really good at making a smooth buttercream finish? I ask, because I'm awful at it and would rather do fondant any day. Also, for this type of cake, I agree with your assessment that fondant would give you the look that your want. As for the symbols, I would make them and then group them in different ways before you put them on the cake to see what looks the best.

Aeolytheis Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 10:21am
post #3 of 9

I'm not perfect with buttercream, like I can get the surface fairly smooth but the edges need a bit of work icon_smile.gif

The totems I made are here

I'm wondering if a stencilled silver maze would work on a dark fondant?

would the fondant have to be purchased in a dark colour or could I dye my own icon_confused.gif

TIA thumbs_up.gif

Marianna46 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 9

That chess piece is totally cool. I tried to make a couple for a Twilight cake a couple of weeks ago and they just came out weird. Could you tell me how you managed to get the sides so straight and actually make it look like a chess piece? Mine ended up looking kind of cartoonish.

Aeolytheis Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 2:59am
post #5 of 9

To make the chess piece I started out by:

1. Rolling the gumpaste about 4mm thick and used my smallest round cutter to cut two rounds about 2cm in diametre. (i also used the cutter to spin around the second one making it slightly smaller)

2. shaping a small ball and flattening it to be slightly smaller than the first round

3. Stacking the flattened ball onto the round with some CMC glue

4. rolling a cylinder about 1.5cm in diametre until its even, then rolling pressure towards the top end of the "sausage" to taper the top end.

5. using a sharp knife to trim the cylinder to the right size and neaten the ends, etc

6. glue the cylinder to the base and top it with the slightly smaller round we cut earlier.

7. roll a ball that will fit on top of the top round, use the small sharp knife to make two slanted incisions ( i used tweezers to pull the paste from between these incisions)

8. roll a tiny ball for the very top and glue the balls together icon_smile.gif (you may need to flatten the tiny ball a bit to get it to stick)!!

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif!

Aeolytheis Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 3:01am
post #6 of 9

Also, i think the chess piece for twilight cakes is actually a queen pice.

for that instead of the cut ball, i would make a smaller ball and a collar to go around that with a spikey top, which I would wrap around the smaller ball to form the queen's crown.

I would still add the tiny ball to the top of that though icon_smile.gif!

Marianna46 Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 4:26am
post #7 of 9

Thanks so much for you step-by-step, Aeolytheis. I actually thought they were a bishop and a pawn, but then I'm not a chess player (and I haven't read anything in the Twilight series, either - this was for my granddaughter, the 9-year-old Goth child, at least that's what she is this week). I did sort of the same thing, but I think my fondant/gumpaste mixture was a little too soft to work with well. Anyway, I really like your pieces. Don't forget to post us a photo of the finished cake!

Aeolytheis Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 8:19am
post #8 of 9

Finally got around to uploading the photo!!

The end result is here icon_smile.gif

If I was to do it again I would leave off the red icing... looks a bit cluttered but oh well icon_razz.gif Hindsight makes these things more noticeable

Marianna46 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 12:26am
post #9 of 9

I really like your cake. The silver maze is a-"maze"-ing, hahaha! Good work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%