Refrigerating Fondant

Baking By elainemc Updated 5 Sep 2011 , 10:51pm by Marianna46

elainemc Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 3:41am
post #1 of 9

are you never supposed to refrigerate fondant? i use a swiss meringue buttercream under fondant. am i not supposed to refrigerate my finished cake. how long can this icing stay at room temperature ?

8 replies
monet1895 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 3:52am
post #2 of 9

I don't use swiss meringue, so I can't speak to that. But I do refrigerate my fondant cakes all the time and have never had a problem!

Marianna46 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 4:23am
post #3 of 9

I don't use SMBC, either, but my experience is just the opposite from Monet1895's: every time I've refrigerated my fondant, it gets gooey when I take it out of the fridge - condensation is the culprit. I live in the most humid climate imaginable and neither my kitchen nor many venues here have AC (AC lowers both the temperature and the humidity). I would NEVER refrigerate a fondant cake. I don't refrigerate fondant to store it, either. It lasts for at least a couple of months at room temp and if I'm going to keep it longer, I freeze it and don't unwrap it until it's back at room temp.

kathie-d Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 4:46am
post #4 of 9

I always refridgerate all my cakes. I think it depends alot of your area and even your fridge. I had gotten a second cake fridge and when I put a cake in it for the first time it was somewhat "tacky". It did come back after being out for a bit but now I only use that fridge for filling and frosting Etc and stick with my original cake fridge once they are covered in fondant.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 5:05am
post #5 of 9

I don't refrigerate fondant-covered cakes because I find that condensation forms under the fondant and causes bulges and sometimes blow-outs. I use shortening based buttercream so it can stay out of the fridge for extended periods. Also, the sweating of the cake can damage any piping work on top of the fondant.

bakingkat Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 5:20am
post #6 of 9

I think it depeneds on the brand/type of fondant you use. I did a test using my Michele Foster's Fondant and with my fridge and the 60-80% humidity that we have hereI didn't have a problem. It was slightly tacky but it was fine after sitting out for a little white. I found that if I used my silicone mat and shortening, It was less sweaty/tacky then if I used powdered sugar.

Marianna46 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 5:46am
post #7 of 9

That stands to reason, bakingkat, because sugar is hygroscopic - it absorbs water. My problem may be a combination of humidity and heat, because once fondant becomes tacky here, it never dries, but starts breaking down the structure of any decorations on the cake until there's nothing but a runny mess. I can't tell you what a challenge it's been to decorate cakes decently since I've moved to this tropical climate (although living in Cancún more than makes up for any inconvenience, let me tell you!). I lived in cool, DRY Mexico City for years before coming here, so it's been quite a change!

elainemc Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 6:33am
post #8 of 9

thanks for all the ideas so far. i am still wondering how long a butter based buttercream can be at room temperature-in a moderate climate. does the fondant . i hope these questions dont sound to stupid im still pretty knew to this. i dont know how to provide a cake with a butterbased icing covered in fondant that is a large project and needs a day or to decorate. HELP

Marianna46 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 10:51pm
post #9 of 9

Buttercream lasts for over a week in the hot, humid climate I live in. I'm talking about at room temp and in a kitchen with no AC, so you'll be fine. The only problem I've had with a butter-based buttercream (or half butter and half shortening, which is what I make more often these days) is the butter gettin rancid after a couple of weeks, but not the icing going bad. There seems to be plenty enough sugar in it to prevent this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%