Quick Questions About Ganache

Decorating By puddles_gal Updated 5 Sep 2011 , 5:11am by sweettreat101

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 12:08am
post #1 of 4

I've been thinking about trying to cover a cake with ganache instead of using buttercream, as I always end up with air bubbles and bulges. I understand I need to use a 2:1 ratio of chocolate to cream- is it ok to use chocolate chips?

3 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 5:04am
post #2 of 4

Some people have succes with chocolate chips, but it's generally a good idea to avoid them when making ganache. Using block or bar chocolate is more time consuming, because you have to grate it or chop it very fine, but the results are well worth the effort. I use ganache under my fondant whenever I can and I've used it more than once as a frosting and/or filling. I just love it!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 5:08am
post #3 of 4

the ratio of 2:1 is in weight. So say 10 oz of cream to 20 oz of chocolate. Not a cup of cream to a 8 oz of chocolate. (that's dark chocolate. White and milk can be more of a 3:1)

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 5:11am
post #4 of 4

I use chocolate chips all the time with great success. I use 12 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips, 3/4 to 1 cup cream, 2 tablespoons butter and a splash of vanilla. Heat cream and chocolate stir until melted add butter and vanilla. I usually use 3/4 cup cream but if I want to pour the ganache over a cake I increase it to 1 cup. If I am using it to frost under fondant I let it sit out on the counter overnight to set up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%