Need Straw Effect For Hay Bale

Decorating By taa-daa Updated 5 Sep 2011 , 1:21am by Elcee

taa-daa Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 10

I am doing a hay bale as the bottom piece to an "upscale country wedding" cake. I don't want to pipe the "straw" on. I am mulling over using mmf and cutting it into hay pieces and sticking them on the sides to give it dimension, or consider the possibility of using baked filo strips. I have never used mmf. Thanks in advance for your ideas, experience and suggestions. icon_smile.gif

9 replies
nicnac78 Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 10

So it might take some experimenting but first thing I think of is broken spaghetti pieces. You could cover them with a thin piece of fondant and use a tool to run along to the tops and bottoms to give it more deminsion. Or something like the old school hay stack cookies my grandma used to make out of chow mein noodles covered in chocolate. Maybe use the appropriate color candy melts to cover it and then place on the cake when dry?

FromScratchSF Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 10

I'd use Shreaded Wheat.

homemaderachel Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 10

I have a cake with a hay bale coming up and I plan on using a clay gun and the disc with all the itty bitty holes. mmf colored in a few shades of hay colors and run thru the extruder then arranged into a bail shape with mmf 'twine' tied round.

staceylilycakes Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 10

I use a garlic press for hay. I'm not sure if that is too fine for a large wedding cake. I have a farm cake in my photos with some hay under the chicken.

Elcee Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 10

If you search the galeries for hay there is one picture that looks like it was made with toasted coconut. When I did one I piped it in 4 shades of bc with several different sized round tips and a grass tip. It was tough and took a long time but the end result looked and tasted great. I really don't see that an extruder would be that much less work.

I'm having a hard time visualizing the spaghetti. Would it be left on the cake? I woudn't want to take a bite of cake and get pieces of raw spaghetti. Same with the shredded wheat. It's great in a bowl with milk, not so much on cake.

kakeladi Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 10

I'd stick to fondant. Who wants to eat a cake w/uncooked (or even cooked) spaghetti or shreaded wheat on it? I *sure!* don't. Sorry but it just is not at all appitizing - eapsecially for an 'upscale country wedding' cake.
OP has never used MMF; why not just use ready made (Wilton) fondant with some added flavoring? You can knead in butter or butter flavoring and some vanilla to improve the taste. It will help a bit to soften the fondant in order to press it throught a clay gun or garlic press.

Regarding the use of coconut: Some people are allergic to it (me for one) so check w/customer if you think about using that.

taa-daa Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 8:19pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

If you search the galeries for hay there is one picture that looks like it was made with toasted coconut. When I did one I piped it in 4 shades of bc with several different sized round tips and a grass tip. It was tough and took a long time but the end result looked and tasted great. I really don't see that an extruder would be that much less work.

I'm having a hard time visualizing the spaghetti. Would it be left on the cake? I woudn't want to take a bite of cake and get pieces of raw spaghetti. Same with the shredded wheat. It's great in a bowl with milk, not so much on cake.

Elcee, Hey your hay looks great! How long did it take you to pipe that and what are the dimensions of the bale?

taa-daa Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 9:43pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Regarding the use of coconut: Some people are allergic to it (me for one) so check w/customer if you think about using that.

I planned on staying away from coconut for that very reason. Thanks for reinforcing my thinking considering those with allergies. thumbs_up.gif I also didn't think the coconut would come off as realistic.

Elcee Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 1:21am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taa-daa

Elcee, Hey your hay looks great! How long did it take you to pipe that and what are the dimensions of the bale?

Thanks! It took me about 7 hours icon_sad.gif. It was huge, though, 12 x 12 x 16. There was 4" of styrofoam dummy with two 12 x 16 x 4 stacked on top. A smaller cake would take much less time, I'm sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%