Macsmom's Orange Dreamsicle Filling.. How Long Does It Last?

Baking By Ambrene Updated 7 Sep 2011 , 4:55pm by TinkerCakes

Ambrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambrene Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 8

I made an orange dreamsicle cake yesterday for a friend's birthday party, and it was a huge hit. Another guest at the party ordered one for the end of September. I still have half of my filling left in my refridgerator. Will it keep for 3 weeks? Can it be frozen maybe? I'd hate to throw it out, but definitely don't want it to be bad tasting or make anyone sick. For those of you who don't already know it the ingredients are as follows: cool whip, vanilla pudding mix, water, sweetened condensed milk, orange extract.... sooo tasty!
Thanks for the help!

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 8

I don't think so. Why don't you try fzing a couple of tablespoons of it to see how that works? Fz it overnight (or similar time) then defrost.

Ambrene Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 3:26am
post #3 of 8

Excellent idea, thanks. I'll let you know tomorrow how it turns out.

RedVelvetAntoinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedVelvetAntoinette Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 8

An chance I could get the recipe for that cake? It sounds divine, and it's myblittle girls second birthday on sunday. Would love to try somethingnotjet than choc or vanilla lol thanks

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 8

RedVelvetAntoinette, it's in here: https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

I made it not long ago and my family said it needed a more "orangey" flavor, I just made the cake , not the filling. I just used buttercream....I guess next time I will make the filling!

Ambrene Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 12:08am
post #6 of 8

I made the recipe from the google doc for my neighbor and she didn't think it was orangey enough either.... Made me try three more recipes until we found one she liked. There's a forum thread titled macsmoms recipe - I'm so confused!!! Tis thread had three different versions of her recipe... I liked the third one the best. I'll post it below. I didn't make the filling the first few times either... But now that I have it is too amazing not to include! My frozen filling is thawing out right now so I will post again later how it turned out.
The recipe that I liked best after 4 tries is as follows...
Cake:
1 box white cake mix
2 c melted orange sherbet
1 small pig vanilla instant pudding
2 containers (6 oz) yoplait orange creamsicle yogurt
3 eggs
2 t orange extract (I used 1 t extract and 1 t orange emulsion)

Filling:
2 pkgs vanilla instant pudding
1/2 c water
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
Orange food coloring
1 t orange extract
2 c cool whip

Ambrene Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 1:38am
post #7 of 8

Well after freezing then thawing a bit of the filling, the flavor still is great, but the texture is off a little. I didn't think it was that bad but my husband thought it was too slimy. I think I'll just stick to making it fresh again in a few weeks... I guess I will just have to eat the leftovers myself lol.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you Ambrene!!!icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%