Learning The Hard Way

Baking By sweet56pooh Updated 7 Sep 2011 , 4:27pm by sweet56pooh

sweet56pooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet56pooh Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 6:18am
post #1 of 3

I thought I would share my experience so that no one else would have to go through what I went through.
Well, I was planing on making a WASC cake with lemon buttercream filling, then crumb coat with a white chocolat ganache and cover with fondant. Just so happens my local store had Lindt chocolate bars on sale. I thought "great!" since they are expensive. I go there and they are sold out of white chocolate. I went to two other locations, same thing. I looked at other stores. No white chocolate. Then I saw a bag of Hershey's Bliss white chocolate. I saw cocoa butter as one of the ingredients and thought it would work. WRONG! I made the ganache the night before, 3:1 ratio. It turned out beautifully. I coated my cake and was falling in love with ganache (first time using ganache under fondant) I was chilling the cake ind the fridge and I noticed my leftover ganache stared to separate. I started to worry, but proceeded on. I covered the cake with fondant and was almost done applying my fondant decorations when I noticed the sides were drooping. I looked at the leftover ganache and it was worse. It looked like a layer of liquefied butter on top of soft white chocolate. If it was looking like that in the bowl, I wondered what it was doing under the fondant. Luckily I had more than enough BC and fondant. I scraped everything off and redid the cake with BC and fondant. It caused me to be a few hours behind schedule and stayed up till 2 in the morning working on the cake. In the end it worked out fine and the couple loved their cake! Lesson learned, do not use Hershey's Bliss chocolate for ganache.

2 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 3

If you get your cream too hot, it can cause issues for the chocolate and have it separate and get oily.

sweet56pooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet56pooh Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 3

Hmmm... I did not know that. Thanks for that tip! Maybe I will give it another try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%