Need Help With Gumpaste Recipe

Baking By mommyto4 Updated 4 Sep 2011 , 9:51pm by Sugarflowers

mommyto4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyto4 Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 4:11am
post #1 of 4

I LOVE Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe and have made it several times in the not so distant past. And I swear at least once I used CMC instead of tylose and it was just fine, but I made 2 batches this week with the CMC and both were rock hard before the 24 hour resting period was up. I made 2 changes that have NEVER been a problem before, but this time they were...1. I used the CMC instead of tylose 2. I put in 4 tablespoons of CMC instead of 12 teaspoons. Have I lost my mind and done something weird here, or is there a simple explanation? Help! I have a large jar of CMC that I bought just for this purpose. TIA!

3 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 4:36am
post #2 of 4

When I have made Nick's recipe, I usually add 3 tablespoons of tylose or CMC, which ever one I have. I freeze half of it.

You said you used 4 tablespoons of CMC instead of 12 teaspoons. There are 3 teaspoons to a tablespoon, so you added 3 extra teaspoons of CMC. this will definitely make the gumpaste much stiffer.

The humidity level where you live can also affect the gumpaste. It will take some tweaking to get the consistency right.

HTH

Michele

mommyto4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyto4 Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 4:56am
post #3 of 4

Yes, 3 teaspoons to a tablespoon....so 3x3 is only 9 teaspoons and the recipe calls for 12 which is 3x4, correct? Am I getting so old my brain is not doing the math right?

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 4

Sorry. I got my math wrong. icon_sad.gif

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%