First For Everything!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 5 Sep 2011 , 2:47am by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 2:05am
post #1 of 13

tonight I am trying my hand a a NO FROSTING CAKE! icon_lol.gif

it's for my dad's birthday...it's been a really tough week for him and our family. we lost a close family member to ALS and he just doesn't feel like celebrating icon_redface.gif i really don't blame him...but he deserves the best cake I can give him. icon_biggrin.gif

i'm making this white chocolate filling that's similar to ganache but has a little bit of sugar and butter in it. then it's going to be a deep devil's food cake with dark chocolate ganache covering the cake. Then, i'm going to try and make some tootsie roll roses icon_lol.gif

I just think this sounds like the most perfect tuxedo cake! I know he loooves chocolate so I hope I don't knock him off his feet with all the sweetness. but I love my dad and need to do something special for him icon_smile.gif

thanks for reading and letting me share

12 replies
LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 2:12am
post #2 of 13

Ohh My Goodness, that sounds amazing!!!

I'm very sorry for your loss, but I hope your dad enjoys his cake!

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 2:24am
post #3 of 13

I'm sorry for your troubles but I'm sure your da takes comfort in having such a loving and creative daughter. Your cake really does sound amazing

step0nmi Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 2:38am
post #4 of 13

thanks ladies! got the idea from the Godiva site: http://www.godiva.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?id=320
but i wanted to put my own twist on it. he loves everything i do and for that I am thankful...he's always been the dad that supported all of my endeavors and talks about them with his friends. icon_smile.gif

yes, been a rough week but we are slowly but surely getting back to normal icon_smile.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 3:55am
post #5 of 13

Aww, so sweet! I'm a total daddy's girl myself! icon_smile.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 4:39am
post #6 of 13

You and your family have my deepest sympathy. I worked in the medical field and ended up having a sub-specialty with ALS patients. I fully realize how hard this has been for all of you. I think the cake you are describing will be a wonderful gift and will lift the pall of grief for a short time and provide a much needed respite. The cake sounds DEE-LEE-CIOUS!

step0nmi Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 5:09am
post #7 of 13

Thank you, Apti. So did my uncle whom was an RN icon_sad.gif when he was diagnosed he knew what was to come...but only worried about his family and how they were going to deal. it was a horrible passing and he was young 58.

thank you for the bode of confidence in my cake! I have decided to add chocolate shavings to the sides of the cake, which i haven't done before either! they turned out perfect icon_smile.gif

Apti Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 5:26am
post #8 of 13

Your uncle sounds like a remarkable man that will be greatly missed.

So glad your cake turned out well, the chocolate shavings added on to that cake might put people in a chocolate state of euphoria!

step0nmi Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 1:56am
post #9 of 13

well, for some odd reason CC is NOT letting me upload photos into my album icon_sad.gif

here is a picture of the cake if you guys want to see it: http://tinypic.com/r/ej04w/7

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 2:24am
post #10 of 13

So sorry for your loss.
However, your dad's cake is so awesome! Can I order one?! I'm only in Iowa! LOL It looks great. I love your tootsie roll roses.
I'm sure he loved it too.

Apti Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 2:40am
post #11 of 13

Oh CRUD that looks G-OO-OO-OO-OO-OO-D! That makes me slobber just looking at it! Question: Can you absorb calories via photographs?

step0nmi Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 2:42am
post #12 of 13

LOL soccermom, this was a pretty easy cake to make.

Apti, thank god...NO! but i sure absorbed a bunch of calories eating it today :p

btw, HE LOVED IT! everyone loved it. and especially my step mom who always has something to say about my cakes said it was the best "tasting" one yet...as in everything together. I love my family icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 2:47am
post #13 of 13

and thank you ALL for your kinda words, support, and comments on the cake...means a lot icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%