Questions On Tiered Cake

Decorating By cole73 Updated 3 Sep 2011 , 11:14pm by jules5000

cole73 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 5

Greetings all!

I'm a newbie here and have some questions I hope can be answered.

When making a two tiered cake what are the best cake sizes to use?

And in this case how much batter is required? If not making the batter from scratch how many boxes of cake mix would one use?

Lastly in regards to buttercream is it something best to make yourself or is buying it just as good?

Thanks,
Cole

4 replies
CWR41 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole73

When making a two tiered cake what are the best cake sizes to use?

Use which sizes match the serving goal.

Quote:

And in this case how much batter is required?

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

cole73 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for that site it's got loads of great info!

I'm probably going to get a 6" pan but what I'm wondering is, is it better to get two or can you get by with just one and bake them one after another? Sorry if it's a silly question but it's not something I've ever done before.

Thanks,
Cole

CWR41 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:

can you get by with just one and bake them one after another?

Yes.

jules5000 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 5

cole73, you can get by with just one for sure. I have done that with lots of cakes because I did not have the money to buy 2 of each pan I wanted, but now that I have 2 of many of them, it makes it so much easier and faster. If they are small like the 6" and 8" sizes you can bake them both at once and you are done. I think that even if you had a 6" and 10" you could bake them at the same time in a home oven and on the same rack. I only ever bake on one rack at a time when making baked goods anyway. If I am making dinner for a lot of people then I usually try to stuff everything I can on a shelf and use both shelves. A convection oven or a commercial oven may be a little different in cooking on different levels, but as far as home ovens go. that is my preference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%