Cake Dummies

Decorating By kenidicalamity Updated 3 Sep 2011 , 11:03pm by lilmissbakesalot

kenidicalamity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kenidicalamity Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 6

I would really like to get some cake dummies, but the only ones I have seen online are quite expensive. I was wondering if there is a way to make them at home for less cost, or if it is even worth it to do so.

Also, can cake dummies be reused? I can't imagine all the cost to only be able to use them once. Thanks!

5 replies
sugarlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlover Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know about making them yourself but I do know you can reuse them.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 6

cake dummies can be used again and again. I imagine that you could make your own, but if they were different sizes than your cake pan to begin with you would have a lot of throw away styrofoam. That stuff used to be fairly cheap. It isn't any more. A friend gave me some of hers that she did not want any more and unfortunately I have not had the chance to chip off the old decoration to reuse them, but I have a lot for when I get the chance. Best wishes. There is a company called Taylorfoam.com. They have sets and individual dummies. Just for example 1 set of 5 dummies (round) 14.25. an individual round dummy that is 4" round, 4" thick is 1.99. I believe that when I finally have the need for more dummies that this will be the place I buy them at.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 6

They usually are well worth the investment as they can be used over and over.
You might post on freecycle or at least check it out for styrofoam as I often have picked up some free. Also post on Craigslist icon_smile.gif
Check w/a local major appliance stores as the new washer etc are usually well packed w/lots of it. This might have holes in it but usually you get enough to fill in any spaces. And not in sizes/shapes you want so you will have to cut it; a messy undertaking. Do it outside. I usually have used a sharp kitchen knife rather than buy a hot wire styro cutter.

Make your own ideas: stack up lots, and lots of cake boards/circles until you get it 3 or 4" tall, then wrap it w/a piece of poster board cut to heigth (and some might want to wrap *that* w/plastic wrap). Problem w/plastic wrap is it seldom can be pulled tight and can wrinkle when you try to ice it icon_sad.gif
You can make cereal treat cakes. Or there are some products in craft stores you spray foam into a container and let it dry - can't remember what it's called. It's messy and can ruin your panicon_sad.gif Well, yrs ago it was. Maybe it's been improved.
Lastly make a one egg cake from scratch and let it bake on very low heat for several hours until it is DRY and HARD icon_smile.gif
Don't know how re-usable some of these options will be.

kenidicalamity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kenidicalamity Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks guys. Great ideas. The only sets i have seen are 4" high and a set of 3 (10", 8", 6") for around $60. That seemed high. I will definitely check out craigslist and such, but knowing they can be reused helps out a lot with cost also!

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 6

I just bought a set of 5" tall rounds in sizes 4-7-10-13 and with 2 day shipping I only paid $39.97. It was from Dallas F oam. I'll PM too because sometimes the company info disappears in the forums.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%