Pedal Cake?

Decorating By scarroll Updated 7 Sep 2011 , 8:12pm by scarroll

scarroll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scarroll Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 10

not sure what the style of cake is called but have seen pictures of wedding cakes that have large round for the bottom tier and smaller round cakes surrounding the larger making a flower pedal diagram. looking for video or directions on how to make and frost with buttercream frosing.

9 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarroll

not sure what the style of cake is called but have seen pictures of wedding cakes that have large round for the bottom tier and smaller round cakes surrounding the larger making a flower pedal diagram. looking for video or directions on how to make and frost with buttercream frosing.

Search for "petal" (not pedal) or satellite cakes.

This might be similar to what you're looking for:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1401411

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 10

They're also called "Lady Windemere" cakes.

scarroll Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 10

thank you for your relpy. Lady Windemere comes close but would like the smaller cakes to be incorp in the larger cake where they become one cake. Like margaret brau's cake name GustTutti Fruttin on her web site http://margaretbraun.com/cakes.html. thank you for your time.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 10

Oh, I see what you mean.

That looks like a round cake that has been carved rather than added to.

IMHO, the best way to do this would be to make identical templates out of cardboard. Place one board on the top of the cake and one on the bottom. Elevate the cake and start carving.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 10

I thought she used a regular petal pan for that...

edited to change photo...meant to put the deeper cut 6 petal instead of the 8 petal image.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 12:15pm
post #7 of 10

I've made a few cakes similar to that look, unfortunately I have lost the pix icon_sad.gif
Using styro rounds, make a mock-up. See how many small cakes you will need. Place them as close together as you can around a lger circle. IE: 16" circle outlined w/about nine 6" rounds. The center open space is then filled w/either styro or more cake.
the pans posted are another option. They will be hard to ice icon_sad.gif Don't think you can use Wilton's petal shaped pans......no where near the same look. You will have to invest in the pans all4cake posted - from England I think thay are.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 10

Yep, I would say that's a petal shaped cake made from the pans listed above. Fat Daddio's makes them too, I believe.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 12:23am
post #9 of 10

If you did opt to use the Wilton (8 petals...older ones had 5 petals) you could 'V' out between the petals a bit to make them deeper.

scarroll Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 10

thanks for the great adivse.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%