Serving Size

Baking By SnLSweetEscapes Updated 9 Sep 2011 , 4:50am by Annabakescakes

SnLSweetEscapes Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 6

What do you all say is a serving size for cupcakes? For example, how many people should order for a wedding or party. A lot of people ask me and it is so hard for me to give them a number because some guests will only eat one, some 2 and some none. So I started to say 1 1/2 per person. And for minis I usually say 3. What do you think?

5 replies
Apti Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 6

I'm a hobby baker, but I'd say ONE standard cupcake is a serving, and 2 mini-cupcakes are a serving.

Indydebi has written an excellent article on the 60% rule:

http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/2009/07/debis-60-rule-or-why-rsvps-dont-work.html

DallasTexas Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 4:23am
post #3 of 6

I think it also depends on the flavors of the cupcakes. If they are all the same flavors with the same toppings, then for standard size cuppies, I'd say one per person. If they are different flavors/toppings, probably people would be tempted to have one of each.

For minis, I'd say two is a serving size if all the minis are the same kind.

If they are different kinds/flavors/toppings of minis, then people don't feel guilty about trying ALL the kinds there are because, after all, they're minis and they are "just a bite" and really *don't have as many calories.* Yeah, that's how I see it too, ha ha !

People generally will want to sample the minis if they are different, so if you're making four different flavors/toppings, figure most folks may just have one of each and plan accordingly.

Whatever you do, you may want to specify in your contract that for a wedding with a total guest list of 50 people, you will provide 50 standard size vanilla bean cupcakes with strawberry creme frosting. If you are doing minis for a guest list of 50 people, state that you will provide, say, 75 vanilla bean mini cupcakes with strawberry creme frosting.

Even though I said one serving would be two minis, if there are budgetary concerns, knowing that 75 minis means everyone will get at least one mini cupcake.

Of course, you may want to plan for having an overage. They may get eaten, or maybe not, but no one would run out of cupcakes. If someone complains about running out of mini cupcakes at the reception, you may want to say "I'm so sorry, I was only contracted to provide 75 of them and was told there'd be 50 people!"

indydebi Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 8:44am
post #4 of 6

By the way, if you choose cupcakes for your wedding, I recommend you order extra......
- When cupcakes are the wedding cake, guests are more likely to have more than one. they view it as a 'casual' food so it's ok to have a 2nd.
- If you have multiple flavors, guests are more comfortable having 2 cupcakes than they are having 2 pieces of cake. (After all, it's "just" a cupcake!)
- It's easier to grab a cupcake to take home than it is to grab a plate of sliced cake.

I will also add that parents will tell a child, "You are NOT getting a 2nd piece of cake just because you dont' like that one!" but if the cake is cupcakes, mom will tell a child, 'Don't like that one? Ok, honey, just go up and get another." For some reason, it's not wasteful to throw away a cupcake but it's a sin to throw away a slice of cake! icon_lol.gif

FromScratchSF Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 12:41am
post #5 of 6

I dunno, I want to agree with everyone, especially Indydebi, but it occurred to me one day... one batch of my batter makes one 6" tier of cake, 12 servings by the Wilton chart. That same batch of batter makes 24 cupcakes. That means that my cupcakes are 1/2 of a normal serving of my wedding cake... and I use muffin-sized cupcake wrappers. Is it really that crazy that people can eat 2 regular sized cupcakes in one sitting without blinking? I know can and still go back for 3rds. That's what I explain to people and then leave it up to them and their budget. One cupcake per person is 1/2 of a serving of a normal cake, if that's all they can afford then that's all they need. But if they want to serve people "dessert", they need to order more. My rule of thumb - total guest count minus 20% times 2. Or, 100 guests, count on 80 people eating cupcakes, so order 160, no more then 3 flavors. If centerpiece cake is ordered I drop the cupcakes by the total servings of the centerpiece cake, so same hypothetical, I say they'd need 136 cupcakes. But this is just me.

Annabakescakes Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 4:50am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I dunno, I want to agree with everyone, especially Indydebi, but it occurred to me one day... one batch of my batter makes one 6" tier of cake, 12 servings by the Wilton chart. That same batch of batter makes 24 cupcakes. That means that my cupcakes are 1/2 of a normal serving of my wedding cake... and I use muffin-sized cupcake wrappers. Is it really that crazy that people can eat 2 regular sized cupcakes in one sitting without blinking? I know can and still go back for 3rds. That's what I explain to people and then leave it up to them and their budget. One cupcake per person is 1/2 of a serving of a normal cake, if that's all they can afford then that's all they need. But if they want to serve people "dessert", they need to order more. My rule of thumb - total guest count minus 20% times 2. Or, 100 guests, count on 80 people eating cupcakes, so order 160, no more then 3 flavors. If centerpiece cake is ordered I drop the cupcakes by the total servings of the centerpiece cake, so same hypothetical, I say they'd need 136 cupcakes. But this is just me.

Oh, no, it is not just you thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I feel the same way! I am going to try your scratch white tomorrow, but I typically back from a box, and it makes a 14 serving cake perfectly, or 30 cupcakes. So I see 2 cup cakes as 1 serving, unless it is for kids at school. 1 per child, and a couple dozen for the ladies in the office!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%